Jonang in the United States

Vajratantrika

Jonang in the United States

Post by Vajratantrika »

I am grateful to see a Jonang section here on Dharma Wheel. My primary teachers are Jonangpas from Dorje Ling. There are two centers in the US (New York and Atlanta) and one in Taiwan. The New York center was established in 1991 and the Atlanta center was established in 1999. There is also a center in Virginia whose Khenpo is Jonangpa, called Tashi Choeling Buddhist Center.

I have been going to Dorje Ling in Atlanta since 2005 (on and off again due to work scheduling, but thankfully more "on" at present). My precious Vajra Master is Tulku Tashi Gyaltsan Rinpoche. I have also received teachings from Khenpo Ngawang Dorjee and, more recently, from Khenpo Choejor Gaymtso.

I consider my Root Lama to be H. H. Penam Rinpoche (Ngagwang Pedma Namgyal Palzangpo). Though I never had the good fortune of meeting him in person, I attribute my coming to the Dharma from a dream/vision I had of him before I even knew about the Jonang lineage, or, for that matter, before I knew much at all about Vajrayana.

On occasion I also visit the local Gelug center as well, called Drepung Loseling.

May all of the Lineages flourish.
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.
Jinzang

Re: Jonang in the United States

Post by Jinzang »

I met Penam Rinpoche when he came to Baltimore. He was quite an impressive teacher.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

Jinzang wrote:I met Penam Rinpoche when he came to Baltimore. He was quite an impressive teacher.
That's excellent Jinzang!

Which dharma center did Penam Rinpoche come to teach at in Baltimore? I missed his visit to Dorje Ling in Atlanta. He came to give teachings and empowerment into Kalachakra a year before I knew about the local center here. However, some of his students are now my current teachers.
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Here's the story. Jeffry Hopkins invited a lama from the Jonang center in New York to help him understand the Shentong presentation of emptiness. They didn't want to drive non-stop from Virginia back to New York, so they stopped in Baltimore. They asked about Buddhist groups in Baltimore and learned about a group I was affiliated with, the Towson Dharma House. The lama gave a talk and liked the group, so the next year when Penam Rinpoche visited America, he stopped in Baltimore to give the Kalachkra empowerment and a teaching on its meaning.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

Thanks for sharing that Jinzang. In a sense, you and I are vajra family then. I received Kalachakra empowerment from Lama Tashi Gyaltsan Rinpoche, who received the transmission from Penam Rinpoche.

The center I go to in Atlanta is currently offering teachings on Taranatha's Lamrim. In January, Khenpo Choejor will be offering teachings on Kalachakra to benefit and deepen our practice.
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

There is also a couple of New Jonang centers in Texas under Ven. Tashi Nyima
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

How accessible is the New York center to visitors? I may be in NYC for a few days this spring and I'd like to pay a visit. Thanks!
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

Jikan wrote:How accessible is the New York center to visitors? I may be in NYC for a few days this spring and I'd like to pay a visit. Thanks!
This is to contact them for more information.

718-522-6523. 646-251-5698
(Chinese)770-910-6269(English)
All teachings will be held at:
Dorje Ling Buddhist Center
98 Gold Street Brooklyn, New York 1120

http://jonang.org/bardo-kalachakra-vajrayogini/
here is a link to some info for upcoming events in September.

Peace and Love

Return to “Jonang”