YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Are PM's working? - Dhamma Wheel

Are PM's working?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
m0rl0ck

Are PM's working?

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:44 am

I sent an inane reply to an snippy pm i received and the reply has been sitting in my outbox for more that 24 hours. I would really like this person to get my reply, if for no other reason than to discourage further pm's from him.
There is no support forum that i saw so im posting here. Are PM's working?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

mikenz66

Re: Are PM's working?

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:53 am

As I understand it, they stay in your outbox until the recipient reads them. So if s/he never reads it it will just sit there...

:popcorn:

Mike

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:56 am

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

sattva

Postby sattva » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:01 pm

First of all, i want to say that i have had this happen before both on this site and on the former e-sangha. You send someone a pm and they never open it or at least, it doesn't show that it has been opened.

I think there is a way to delete the message though. Click on the outbox and to the pm that is sitting there unopened. There will be a box that you can mark. Then below it will say something, can't remember what, but it scrolls to delete the message and click that. It will then ask if you are sure that you want to delete it. Say yes. That will get rid of old messages that sit there.

Now, about the other problem. It looks like you can't block a person from sending you a PM, but i would check with mods to see if they could do it. If you add a person to your foe list, as long as you are logged in you won't see their posts. I did this recently when i found myself reacting to a certain person's posts. The person is what my mom would have called "an agitator" and i prefer not to rise to the bait. This is my way of walking away, not engaging.

Hope there is something here helpful. :)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 pm

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Of course it's not always necessary to respond to everything someone else says or does. When I was a kid my dad used to advise me to ask myself: "How would a gentleman respond in this situation?" Most of the time, my brayne tells me, a gentleman would say nothin. More and more I say less and less the older I get. Five years from now according to the curve I'll be totally silent and the world will be a better place for it. :tongue:

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:07 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:19 am

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Not to mention PMing someone this:

Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Return to “Lounge”