Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 am
Posts: 85
Location: Northern Ireland
Does this refer to all living things. What I mean by this, is does it extend to the Fruits and Berries on trees and hedgerows. Does it extend to nuts and vegetables?

The way I read it, that yes it does but I am seeking clarification. Any time I have seen the precepts mentioned in this forum, with regards to the first one. Only beings that are considered "meat, fish etc" have been discussed.

_________________
Blessed Be,

Bunny.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Posts: 2107
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
According to the Buddhist cosmology rebirth can be to humans, animals, devas and other celestial beings, but not plants.

There is no violation to eating or 'killing' a plant in Buddhism. There is a Vinaya rule that prohibits monks and nuns from harming plants, but this probably has more to do with not harming the environment in general or looking unseemly to lay people.

_________________
Image
www.TheDhamma.com/
Dhamma Wiki encyclopedia
Dhamma Wheel forum


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 am
Posts: 231
Location: North Carolina
The explanation I have often come across is anything that has a nervous system.

Shaun :namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am
Posts: 232
Location: Perth
David N. Snyder wrote:
According to the Buddhist cosmology rebirth can be to humans, animals, devas and other celestial beings, but not plants.

There is no violation to eating or 'killing' a plant in Buddhism. There is a Vinaya rule that prohibits monks and nuns from harming plants, but this probably has more to do with not harming the environment in general or looking unseemly to lay people.

Also don't forget preta (or ghosts/spirits)! :smile:

With the Vinaya rule on harming plants, I understand that the Buddha once said any plants at least 3 feet tall (or some other measurement units) can house a spirit. If you cut down such a plant, you would be effectively destroying the spirit's home. Hence, for compassion reason, Bhikṣu and Bhikṣuṇī are to not harm trees.

Ven. Chin Kung told a story that once in Australia their Buddhist group had to arrange for a tree to be cut down to build a temple. They, following the Buddha's teaching, read sutra to the tree spirit and asked it to move in three days, after which they will cut down the tree. Therefore there are ways for devoted Buddhist to deal with those situations.

Now if you are interested in the rest of Ven. Chin Kung's story, here is what happened... That night one of the monks had a dream where the tree spirit complained that three days was too short, and they should have given seven days of notice! Ven. Chin Kung's theory is that Australian people had an easier pace to doing things, so the same goes for spirits in Australia :D

Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI_cf4LCjKU but it is in Chinese only.

_________________
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am
Posts: 1468
Protecting the environment is a great aspect of the Dharma and one I'd encourage. But don't go hungry, eat only what you need, don't waste food, and say a quick prayer thanking the plants, the farmers, the cooks etc. before each meal.

Gassho,
Seishin

_________________
http://tendaiuk.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am
Posts: 1468
Kaji wrote:
Ven. Chin Kung told a story that once in Australia their Buddhist group had to arrange for a tree to be cut down to build a temple. They, following the Buddha's teaching, read sutra to the tree spirit and asked it to move in three days, after which they will cut down the tree. Therefore there are ways for devoted Buddhist to deal with those situations.


:twothumbsup:

_________________
http://tendaiuk.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 pm
Posts: 732
Location: South Florida, USA
bunny wrote:
Does this refer to all living things. What I mean by this, is does it extend to the Fruits and Berries on trees and hedgerows. Does it extend to nuts and vegetables?

The way I read it, that yes it does but I am seeking clarification. Any time I have seen the precepts mentioned in this forum, with regards to the first one. Only beings that are considered "meat, fish etc" have been discussed.



Gardening itself does not break the first precept if that is what you're asking. :)

_________________
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 am
Posts: 85
Location: Northern Ireland
Thank you all for your replies. It has made things clearer in my mind. :)

_________________
Blessed Be,

Bunny.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group