Insight meditation and Thai forest tradition Question

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Insight meditation and Thai forest tradition Question

Postby Christopherxx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 am

Hi there!

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section. Any correction would be greatly appreciated :).

I have recently become quite intrested in insight meditation.

I am aware of Mahasi and S.N.

I was wondering if there is a sticky on the subject? If not it may be a cool topic to have all the figureheads and or school of thoughts listed and then a complete explanation of the techniques (For instance Mahasi and "noting" and how this practice develops into higher level insights through use as listed in his writings and by his students.) *I did not write out a full explanation of his technique as an example because I did not want to spam the topic :P.

My next question is on the thai forest traditon. I believe Chah used calming and focusing exercises and then pursued insight meditation by "neutral" viewing of the arisings. Is there a more detailed account that one could provide?

Lastly for anyone with experience in the thai forest traditon which practices do monks fill their day with apart from the light chores and puja/community meditation. I am aware this tradition focuses on the code of coduct for monastics and of "right view, wisdom and concencentration" but i would love to know the practices and how they approach such practices (as each school seems to intreprete the suttas and guidelines a slightly bit different.

Thanks again!

Metta wishes :)
Christopherxx

Re: Insight meditation and Thai forest tradition Question

Postby viniketa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:15 am

Hello, Christopherxx,

Welcome to the forum. I am acquainted with the Thai Forest tradition and have gained from some of those readings, but do not know much. As this question is about mediation, there might be more response in the meditation section.

Have you joined and tried posting to the sister forum at Dhamma Wheel: http://www.dhammawheel.com/ ? I think you will get a very good response there as there are more people familiar with Thai Forest on that forum.

Best wishes on your journey!

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
viniketa

Re: Insight meditation and Thai forest tradition Question

Postby Christopherxx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks so much Vin,

I actually just found the dhamma page right after posting last night haha funny how life is.

good luck on your journey as well :)
Christopherxx

Return to Exploring Buddhism