term for a reaction to a reaction?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby anjali » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I was talking with a friend about emotions and suffering, and we began discussing emotional reactions to other emotions. For example, feeling guilty at feeling angry at someone. Is there a Buddhist term for this second-order emotional reaction? I've read discussions of the notion in Buddhist writings before, but can't say as I've ever come across a word denoting the concept of a reaction to a reaction.
All things are unworthy of clinging to (sabbe dhammā nâla abhinivesāyā). --Shakyamuni Buddha
If there is clinging, you do not have the view. --Drakpa Gyaltsen

Re: term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby viniketa » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 pm

This could be considered an example of upādāna (grasping, clinging, attachment), one of the twelve nidānas of pratītyasamutpāda (interdependent causation, dependent arising, or dependent co-arising).

Perhaps this resource might be helpful:

Best wishes for your continued studies.

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment

Re: term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby joy&peace » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Very nice.

Namu-Amida-Butsu ; Namo Amituofo ; Namo Bhaisajya Guru ; Om Mani Peme Hum ; Om Ah Vajra Hum
Om Ah Hum Vajra Medicine Buddha Mantra <---Heart Sutra---> Green Tara Mantra Lotus Sutra One I Love, Jean Ritchie
Trust yourself, trust your heart, and you will have the truest guide.

Return to Exploring Buddhism