term for a reaction to a reaction?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Global Moderator

term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby anjali » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I was talking with a friend about emotions and suffering, and we began discussing emotional reactions to other emotions. For example, feeling guilty at feeling angry at someone. Is there a Buddhist term for this second-order emotional reaction? I've read discussions of the notion in Buddhist writings before, but can't say as I've ever come across a word denoting the concept of a reaction to a reaction.
All things are unworthy of clinging to (sabbe dhammā nâla abhinivesāyā). --Shakyamuni Buddha
Wanting to grasp the ungraspable, you exhaust yourself in vain. --Gendun Rinpoche

Re: term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby viniketa » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 pm

This could be considered an example of upādāna (grasping, clinging, attachment), one of the twelve nidānas of pratītyasamutpāda (interdependent causation, dependent arising, or dependent co-arising).

Perhaps this resource might be helpful:

Best wishes for your continued studies.

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment

Re: term for a reaction to a reaction?

Postby joy&peace » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Very nice.

Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”