Why Surangama Sutra frightens demons?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Why Surangama Sutra frightens demons?

Postby Nosta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Why demons fear Surangama Sutra (and Mantra, i suppose) so much?

And if we suppose that demons are real, how can they undertsand someone reading it, even if its in english, portuguese, chinese, etc?

At last: if i play (on youtube for instance) an audio where someone is reading the Surangama Sutra, can that be enough to frighten demons or even make them go away?

Sorry if such questions look silly or childish, but i cannot deny my curiosity on these questions :)

Thanks
Nosta

Re: Why Surangama Sutra frightens demons?

Postby Will » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Nosta wrote:Why demons fear Surangama Sutra (and Mantra, i suppose) so much?

And if we suppose that demons are real, how can they undertsand someone reading it, even if its in english, portuguese, chinese, etc?

At last: if i play (on youtube for instance) an audio where someone is reading the Surangama Sutra, can that be enough to frighten demons or even make them go away?

Sorry if such questions look silly or childish, but i cannot deny my curiosity on these questions :)

Thanks

Demons & devas can understand the meaning behind any language. They fear the sutra & mantra because both are directly connected to beings and forces far more powerful than the demons are. Playing the recording will have some demon-scaring effect, but persons chanting, with understanding & faith is better.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Harmful spirits etc. also respond to the Heart Sutra with the three claps.

However, I have witnessed the effects of compassion on them. it leaves them no opening to cause harm.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Will wrote:chanting, with understanding & faith is better.
Where is the English translation ? Can you please post it here ?
Thank you :namaste: :heart:
Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Nosta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:47 pm

WILL: what forces are that? Are you speaking about evil forces stronger than demons?

BLUE GARUDA: i didnt knew that about the Heart Sutra, thanks (by the way, why do demons answer with 3 claps??)

KUNGA LADHZOM: do you seek the Surangama Sutra in english? I think its this:
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/surangama.pdf
Nosta

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Thank you Nosta, but I can't download the pdf because the previous owner of this lap-top and the Adobe system requires a serial number to proceed, and I don't have that info,
so I can't download pdf files :shrug: Obstacles :alien:
Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Will » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Will wrote:chanting, with understanding & faith is better.
Where is the English translation ? Can you please post it here ?
Thank you :namaste: :heart:

I was thinking mainly of the mantra, although the chanting the sutra is helpful also.

So do you want the sutra or mantra in English? There are English versions of the mantra, at Shasta Abbey site for one. Go to City of Ten Thousand Buddhas site and look under the 'sutras' for the text of the sutra.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Ok, thank you Will :namaste: I already went to youtube and tried to say the Mantra in Chinese (along with the beautiful voices), but imperfectly,and without understanding :crying: I will read sutra & chant mantra :namaste: :heart:
Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Thank you Nosta, but I can't download the pdf because the previous owner of this lap-top and the Adobe system requires a serial number to proceed, and I don't have that info,
so I can't download pdf files :shrug: Obstacles :alien:

I somehow managed to find the serial # and the correct name to enter suddenly appeared after I typed it(#) in, so i am able to read the sutra now :namaste:
Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Will » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:32 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:Ok, thank you Will :namaste: I already went to youtube and tried to say the Mantra in Chinese (along with the beautiful voices), but imperfectly,and without understanding :crying: I will read sutra & chant mantra :namaste: :heart:

Go look at the last 4 posts in this thread and if you like Master Hua's explanations, then go to the Vajra Bodhi Sea archive online and starting with issue number 138 you will see in most issues a line from the mantra with Master Hua's comments. I plan to post many more links from VBS on the mantra in that thread.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=232&p=113429#p113429
Will

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:32 am

Nosta wrote:BLUE GARUDA: i didnt knew that about the Heart Sutra, thanks (by the way, why do demons answer with 3 claps??)

You perform the 3 claps at the end of the sutra. There are 4, but I was taught that the last 3 act as instruction for the spirits to obey:

''Great Mother, Prajnaparamita, and all the Buddhas ans Bodhisattvas of the ten directions, through the power of your blessings may these true words of mine be achieved. Just as before, when by contemplating the profound meaning of the perfection of wisdom and reciting its words, Indra overcame all the harm of maras, non-humans and so forth, in the same way, by my contemplating the profound meaning of the perfection of wisdom and reciting its words:
May all the harm of maras, non-humans and so forth be overcome.(clap)
May they become non-existent. (clap)
May they be pacified.(clap)
May they be thoroughly pacified.(clap)''

source: http://viewonbuddhism.org/resources/heartsutra.html
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Nosta » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

Thank you for the Mantra, Will.

Blue Garuda, thank you too for your explanation. In my last post i was about to ask you something, but then i forgot completly: you said you have witnessed the power of compassion on ghosts/demons? What can you tell us about that? thanks :)
Nosta

Postby Will » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Nosta wrote:Thank you for the Mantra, Will.
What forces are that? Are you speaking about evil forces stronger than demons?

You are very welcome Nosta. The Surangama mantra only invokes good forces, never evil.
Will

Return to Exploring Buddhism