Asked to join Christian Prayer; Need Advice Please

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Asked to join Christian Prayer; Need Advice Please

Postby Paliut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:14 am

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ogyen wrote:
Paliut wrote:I am in the US, I know about the law and my rights.but I feel that not participating will make other people mad and I personally dont feel the need to want to deal with that.. I was part of the first prayer. I meditate and visualized compassion arising since they spoke of just that. Of course theirs aimed and dedicated to god. I arises from thinking of metta ajd the buddhas.

There you go... problem solved. In essence, God as the pinnacle of all your ideals, means something different to each and every person anyway... they just have their expression in this Christian form, you have it in your dharma form :consoling: If you aim to be kind, then everything falls in line with your principles. Getting hung up on form may or may not be relevant, only you can decide what is or isn't important to take a stand on. Glad you figured out what worked!

:namaste:

Thanks for your wise words. Truly grateful :namaste:
Paliut

Postby Huifeng » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:56 am

Paliut wrote:I am in the US, I know about the law and my rights.but I feel that not participating will make other people mad and I personally dont feel the need to want to deal with that.. I was part of the first prayer. I meditate and visualized compassion arising since they spoke of just that. Of course theirs aimed and dedicated to god. I arises from thinking of metta ajd the buddhas.

Nice. :smile:
Huifeng

Postby rory » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:53 am

It's actually not solved. What about the next person who is a Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Atheist? As someone with a non-Christian Jewish background, it's very important to stand up for minority religions or the desire not to participate at all. If you say 'sorry, I'm a Buddhist, they'll respect you.'
gassho
Rory
rory

Postby steveb1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:51 am

I would not participate. It sends a false message; it misrepresents you and your core beliefs; if inisisted upon, it violates your constitutional rights (and it may be illegal in itself). The place seems to amount to an illegal "Christians only may apply/work here" business. If their noses get out of joint because you won't participate, that in itself will show how "Christian" they really are. And if they move against you, then - as one poster has already written - lawyer up.

Moreover you have three rights:

1. The right to privacy. If anyone asks why you don't participate, tell them it's private and personal. You could even tell them that you consider the question rude.

2. The right to religious freedom. You are free to tell them that you're Buddhist and let them deal with that truth.

3. The right not to be discriminated against. If things get frosty because of your non-participation, know full well that you are the victim of religious intolerance - another illegality.

There are far, far too many American businesses and other public organizations that violate US law and practice religious persecution. Just keep in mind that you have _every_ right to protest and to bring legal counsel to bear in a situation such as this.

Be an American; be a Buddhist; make no apologies for speaking self-truth.
steveb1

Postby Nemo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:56 pm

The Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara (Sanskrit: Aryaganpatihridaya; Tibetan: 'Phags pa Tshogs kyi dDag po'I sNiying po):

"Homage to all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

"Thus have I once heard:

"The Blessed One was dwelling in Rajagriha together with a great community of 1250 monks and of Boddhisattva-Mahasattvas. At that time the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, 'O Ananda, the tasks of anyone who comprehends the Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara will all be accomplished. One's wishes are fulfilled by comprehending it and every mantra will bring attainment:'

"'Tadyatha / Namo stute-maha-ganapataye svaha / Om kata kata / Mata mata / Dara dara / vidara vidara / Hana hana / Grihna grihna / Dhava dhava / Bhamja Bhamja / Stambha stambha / Jambha jambha / Moha moha / Dehi dehi / Dapaya Dapaya / Dhana dhanya sidhi me prayaccha samaya-manu-smara maharudra vacaniye svaha / Om kuru kuru svaha / Om turu turu / Om muru muru svaha / Om bava samti vasu pushtim kuru svaha / Adguta bindu kshabhita mahavidara / Sama-gacchati mahabaya / Mahabala / Mahavarakra / Mahahasti / Maha-dakshini-ya praci-dayami svaha / Om kuru kuru / Curu curu / Muru muru / Om ga ga ga ga ga ga ga ga / Om namo nama svaha

"'Oh Ananda, when any son of noble family, daughter of noble family, monk, nun, lay man or lay woman goes to a place of worship other than where the Three Jewels (are worshipped) or enters the palace retinue of a king and practices the mantras (recited in that place) and begins with this Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara all one's tasks will be accomplished. Have no doubts about it. If one is mindful (of this mantra) in fights, arguments, confusions, and wars, they will all be pacified. If you get up early each morning and recite it, you will attain learnedness. Yakshas, rakshasa and dakini will not rob your health but will promise to stay far away.'

"After the Blessed One proclaimed these things, the gathering and everyone in it, along with the world with its gods, men, demigods, and gandharvas, rejoiced and praised the Blessed One's teaching. This completes the Essence of Ganapati-Ganesvara."
Nemo

Postby seeker242 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:40 pm

I don't get why some Buddhist have such an aversion to other religions and their practices. As Buddhists, aren't we supposed to be practicing the letting go of our attachments and aversions? It seems to me that the most Buddhist thing to do, if someone ask you to pray with them, is to sit there and pray with them. :)
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby Paliut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:55 pm

seeker242 wrote:I don't get why some Buddhist have such an aversion to other religions and their practices. As Buddhists, aren't we supposed to be practicing the letting go of our attachments and aversions? It seems to me that the most Buddhist thing to do, if someone ask you to pray with them, is to sit there and pray with them. :)

I agree with you. There are ways to do things in which we can get what we both want. It was my first I am not going to march in seeming like an arrogant non believer. When I get to know the boss better I can explain my believes andi could stand to the side, now if he doesnt want me to or thinks bad of it, then yes I can take different measures. I was jot forced to join, I joined out of being respectful on my first day.
Sadly there are some there who.are "christians" and make faces when people speak and are gery disrespectful, I wish not to be one of them either.
Paliut

Postby Paliut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm

rory wrote:It's actually not solved. What about the next person who is a Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Atheist? As someone with a non-Christian Jewish background, it's very important to stand up for minority religions or the desire not to participate at all. If you say 'sorry, I'm a Buddhist, they'll respect you.'
gassho
Rory

Very correct. I could have taken that stand, the issue is that my mother got me the job, I nedd the job atm I will only be here summer, so the least I can do is weary because I dont wany my mom to look bad. Sure they shoildnt get mad but its something I don't want my mother dealing with thus I took measures not only that id be ok with but something my mom would approve of. I spoke to her of this, of my plan, she said thats the wisest way to approach it. Others can approach it differently, I decided to thia. For me, my mother, and others.
Paliut

Postby Jikan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:16 pm

I don't object to the practices of others. I'm glad I live in a country where freedom of conscience is legally protected and culturally valued.

I'm not criticizing Paliut with this comment, merely making a generality (here I am in general agreement with rory): I don't agree with any kind of coerced religious activity of any kind in a workplace environment, or in the public sphere at all. It's just bullying. Buddhists shouldn't do it and no one else should either. If people freely choose to join in a prayer or other kind of religious service, then I really don't see a problem with it.

EDIT: I see Paliut and I were posting at the same time. I see where you're coming from a bit better now. :smile:
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Zenshin 善心 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Paliut wrote: Others can approach it differently, I decided to this. For me, my mother, and others.

:good:
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
Zenshin 善心

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism