What is a klesha? - found it as a word in a Buddhist book.

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.
Wesley1982

What is a klesha? - found it as a word in a Buddhist book.

Postby Wesley1982 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:04 am

What is a klesha? I'm guessing it has something to do with impure perception.

Wayfarer

Re: What is a klesha? - found it as a word in a Buddhist book.

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 am

Klesha (Pali Kilesa) is 'defilement' or 'obstruction' - that which prevents one from 'seeing things as they truly are' by distorting your understanding of the nature of reality and manifest as unskillful actions. It is an important term in Buddhist ethics. It is somewhat equivalent to a now disused Christian term, beginning with s, three letters, that it is no longer considered 'skillful' to use. :smile:
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas

Wesley1982

Postby Wesley1982 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:35 am

I see from the Wiki source - do many with substance abuse issues have this "Klesha" going on in their situation?..

Kunga Lhadzom

Postby Kunga Lhadzom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 am

Wesley1982 wrote:substance abuse
I'd say yes, because it's attachment, and something that is abusive is obviously a poison for your mind and body, right ? If it's not hurting you,(like medicinal use of weed for cancer patients, to aleviate the suffering of nausea),
then it's not really abusive (IMO). But abusing the law has consequenses.
Last edited by Kunga Lhadzom on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wesley1982

Postby Wesley1982 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:52 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Wesley1982 wrote:substance abuse
I'd say yes, because it's attachment, and something that is abusive is obviously a poison for your mind and body, right ?

Yes.

A narcotic introduced to the brain chemistry causes an adaptive change leading to chemical dependency.

Return to “Exploring Buddhism”