Energetics of Thought

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Energetics of Thought

Postby underthetree » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:42 am

Something I've found, both in meditation and in everday life is that, when a thought arises and I look at it and let it dissolve, I always experience a physical sensation, either in the area of my heart, my solar plexus or occasionally roughly in my sinuses. The same applies for emotion. This is a sort of faint physical tremor or thrill accompanied by a sensation which is neither pleasant or unpleasant. From my limited understanding of Tibetan esoteric physiology I'm guessing that this is a function or manifestation of lung, but I'd like to know more.
underthetree

Re: Energetics of Thought

Postby Jeff » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Great point and question. Try to trace it back and find the point where the energy is "created/introduced" at the prethought. That will help with the answer to your question.

:smile:
Jeff

Postby Malcolm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:13 pm

underthetree wrote:Something I've found, both in meditation and in everday life is that, when a thought arises and I look at it and let it dissolve, I always experience a physical sensation, either in the area of my heart, my solar plexus or occasionally roughly in my sinuses. The same applies for emotion. This is a sort of faint physical tremor or thrill accompanied by a sensation which is neither pleasant or unpleasant. From my limited understanding of Tibetan esoteric physiology I'm guessing that this is a function or manifestation of lung, but I'd like to know more.

Thoughts are rlung. When your lung does not move, thoughts do not arise.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Virgo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:41 am

Malcolm wrote:
underthetree wrote:Something I've found, both in meditation and in everday life is that, when a thought arises and I look at it and let it dissolve, I always experience a physical sensation, either in the area of my heart, my solar plexus or occasionally roughly in my sinuses. The same applies for emotion. This is a sort of faint physical tremor or thrill accompanied by a sensation which is neither pleasant or unpleasant. From my limited understanding of Tibetan esoteric physiology I'm guessing that this is a function or manifestation of lung, but I'd like to know more.

That's what I'm talking about.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Andrew108 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 am

Thoughts are rlung and rlung is?
Andrew108

Postby underthetree » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Thank you, Malcolm.

So why does the sensation arise at the dissolving of the thought?

Interesting. So why does lung seem to move during shamatha? Or is that some other part of the subtle anatomy?
underthetree

Postby Wesley1982 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:43 pm

-Energeia- is probably the Christian term used to describe the energy of a positive spirit
Wesley1982

Return to Exploring Buddhism