YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Poll: Ordained Or Not? - Dhamma Wheel

Poll: Ordained Or Not?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Ordained Or Not?

I am a Buddhist monk
No votes
I am a Buddhist nun
No votes
I strongly intend to become a Buddhist monk
24%
I strongly intend to become a Buddhist nun
No votes
I am a lay person - Buddhism is my religion
66%
I am a person with an interest in Buddhism and/or meditation
10%

Total votes: 29

Jhana4

Poll: Ordained Or Not?

Postby Jhana4 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Monk, num, lay person or just someone with an interest in Buddhism?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

Jhana4

Re: Poll: Ordained Or Not?

Postby Jhana4 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 pm

I chose "I am a person with an interest in Buddhism and/or meditation". My primary interest is in meditation. Got a long term practice. I also enjoy reading the suttas. I keep the 5 precepts most of the time ( can't seem to get rid of the need for the rare white lie, still do the idle chatter ) because they fit my temperament. I'm an agnostic about nibbana and rebirth. I accept the concepts in kamma and dependent origination outside of the parts dependent on rebirth. I accept the 4 noble truths. I consider myself to be a secular atheist. Buddhism isn't my religion. A lot of what I read in the suttas I don't accept as reality ( heaven realms, hell realms, multiple universes, devas, etc ).
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:29 am

Still strongly wish to become a Monk, just got to get a degree under my belt and a few years in the workforce to set up a 'plan B'.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 am

Greetings J4

I've never been comfortable with 'religion' being a descriptor. To me, the Dhamma is something that you engage with - whether intellectually or practically via sila, samatha bhavana and/or vipassana bhavana. There is no requirement on anyone to simply accept tenets and doctrine. So for me, Buddhism (or Dhamma) is something that I do (or not do if you want to be pedantic).

The other observation is that there is no choice above for people who are upasakas or upasikas currently but will ordain if should their life circumstances change in the future. Nor is there a choice for those who while still married will seek a leave of absence from their families for a short ordination.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:58 am

I didn't know of those two classes and it doesn't seem like I can edit the poll. If you can please feel free to add them.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:19 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

ground

Postby ground » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:02 am

I hold a high regard for those who can say "I strongly intend to become a Buddhist monk" but I think for me it is not very likely to become a monk in this present life.
Since for me "religion" is every spiritual, political or humanistic view or conviction that is held but cannot be validated by direct experience at present because - at least some of its aspects - are based on projection (on the time scale) I have chosen "I am a lay person - Buddhism is my religion".

Kind regards

manas

Postby manas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:29 am

I also have to vote "Buddist Layperson, with Buddhism as my religion' because, even though when things get really rough in the household life, I mean: bills, ex's, more bills, teenaged kid being defiant and rude, debts...you really feel like promising to yourself that if you are reborn as a human being, that you will remember just how much suffering the household life is, and have the wisdom to renounce it while still young, unattached and strong (say, at 20)... despite all this, I'm not sure i will have the physical strength to join a monastery when the kids are all grown up (I will be 52 by then). I have a feeling that in this lifetime I will have to make do with being the best Buddhist householder I can be. (it's great for developing patience and compassion though)...
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:35 am

The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 am

I voted "I strongly intend to become a Buddhist monk".

At the moment I cannot afford to leave everything behind (study costs I would have to pay back to my employer when I do, among other things), but I want to do this in the future.
For years I'm very inspired by the Thai forest tradition founded by Ajahn Chah.

I first want to experience life in a monastery for myself a few times though. I want to visit different monasteries and stay there for a while to see if it's something for me.

The monastery I'll be staying at next week is for years the number 1 on my list. :anjali:

EDIT

I noticed that there are a few upasakas here. How does life look living as one. Other than the rules and being a lay member what is the difference in your way of life compared to, for example, a samanera and what are the circumstances that you're not ordaining while living so close to a life like that?

Return to “Lounge”