Repentance

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Repentance

Postby Ervin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Once you have decided to transgress no more do you have to confess transgressions to people? If you have offended against the laws do you have to tell the police your offences? Once you turn away from transgression and ocassionaly fail do you have to confess straight away?

Can a confession be a transgression if it causes pain to you or others?

Do you ask Budha for forgiveness. I think some Buddhists ask Buddha for forgiveness but that roesnt make sense to me because I can't see Buddha holding a grudge in the first place.

Thanks
Ervin

Re: Repentance

Postby Seishin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:04 pm

To repent is to admit our mistakes. Admitting our own mistakes and faults is a very important part of Buddhist practice in my opinion. You are not really requesting forgiveness from someone other than maybe yourself, you are admitting it and making clear the aspiration to correct these mistakes.

In our tradition we chant "Since beginingless time I have sown seeds of negative karma by means of misdirected action, speech and thought. I wish to acknowledge and atone for all"

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby Wesley1982 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 am

In Orthodox Christianity - you can confess to an ordained priest. Then begin the process of repentance
Wesley1982

Postby Tara » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:18 am

Wesley1982 wrote:In Orthodox Christianity - you can confess to an ordained priest. Then begin the process of repentance

:offtopic:

Wesley, the OP asked a question in the Exploring Buddhism section of Dharma Wheel. Your response regarding what orthodox Christians do is irrelevant in the terms of exploring Buddhism and is therefore off topic. The Exploring Buddhism forum is not a comparative religion forum.

:focus:

Regards,
It's not a competition. It's a choice.
Tara
Tara
Site Admin

Postby maybay » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am

So what do you think Tara?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Postby Wesley1982 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Maybe in Buddhist thought its some sort of recollection or realization of past mistakes and resolving not to repeat them
Wesley1982

Postby Wesley1982 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:51 am

Tara wrote:
Wesley1982 wrote:In Orthodox Christianity - you can confess to an ordained priest. Then begin the process of repentance

:offtopic:

Wesley, the OP asked a question in the Exploring Buddhism section of Dharma Wheel. Your response regarding what orthodox Christians do is irrelevant in the terms of exploring Buddhism and is therefore off topic. The Exploring Buddhism forum is not a comparative religion forum.

:focus:

Regards,

Apologies Tara I won't discuss other faiths or non-Buddhist religions on Dharma Wheel. :namaste:
Wesley1982

Postby Seishin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:35 am

That's not what Tara was saying Wesley. There are different sections of the forum that are more appropirate for talking about other religions, however, this section (Exploring Buddhism) is solely for discussion about Buddhism. Hope that clarifies that :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby Son of Buddha » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 am

REMORSE/REPENT/REFORM
Commonly found in the brahma net sutra
And the mahaparinirvana sutra
Also for a neat peice of info in the vinayas the monks used to confess their bad deeds before the buddha and sangha evertday,with the vow to reform.

Repentace and fogiveness is one of the cornerstones of buDdhism
peace and love
Son of Buddha

Return to Exploring Buddhism