Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Nemo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 pm

If it's completely wholesome you probably aren't doing it right.
User avatar
Nemo
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Simon E. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Which also does not represent a Dzogchen view.
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Lhug-Pa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm still not quite 100% sure what the Dzogchen view is on Sexual Yoga. As has been mentioned already, within this thread and other threads, the Khandro Nyingthig and Longchenpa on the Lama Yangthig have teachings on this.

At least until learning more, I'm going with the Kalachakra and Anuyoga views on Karmamudra as explained by Yeshe Tsogyel, H.H. the Dalai Lama, etc.

Also, it would be very wise to at least follow the advice given to ordinary people by Tibetan Medicine regarding sex and the seasons...

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3987

...as explained there^.
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lhug-Pa
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby LastLegend » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Wesley1982 wrote:Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma? thanks.


Yes...your appearance looks better. If you have a wife, it will prevent you from jeopardizing your relationship. Breaking up a family creates heavy karma because a family is a unit of society. If every family does that, then we will have chaos. That's what happening now in the modern world. Too many divorces-children are not brought up good because of that. Then children will bring chaos to society...serial killers, rapists, pedophiles, etc.


From the practical standpoint of East Asian Buddhism, monks need to refrain from celibacy.

In generally practitioners should not actively seek for a union. But if it comes naturally or mutually, it is not right to reject either. In this case, take the middle path. Don't be attached deeply to it. The Mahayana teaching is not holding on to any side-rejection or acceptance, nirvana or samsara, etc.

Beginners should uphold all precepts dearly.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Simon E. » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:20 am

I doubt that you meant to say that " monks should refrain from celibacy ". Did you ?

I would like to see your evidence that serial killers are a result of divorce.

Hyperbole makes a poor argument.
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Sönam » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:56 am

Lhug-Pa wrote:I'm still not quite 100% sure what the Dzogchen view is on Sexual Yoga.


The Dzogchen view on that like on other points is very simple ... do your best, work with your circumstances and all that is your limitations. Therefore Sexual Yoga could be integrated in your Dzogchen practice ... but you have to go in essence.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
User avatar
Sönam
 
Posts: 1999
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: France

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby LastLegend » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Simon E. wrote:I doubt that you meant to say that " monks should refrain from celibacy ". Did you ?

I would like to see your evidence that serial killers are a result of divorce.

Hyperbole makes a poor argument.



I am sure you have a general idea of what I meant to say. Why nit-pick?
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Simon E. » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Ok.. " monks need to refrain from celibacy " means that monks should have sex. Is that what you meant ?
And saying that evidence is needed to support the idea that one of the results of divorce is a rise in the numbers of serial killers is hardly " nitpicking" in my view. Its an extraordinary claim.
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby LastLegend » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Simon E. wrote:Ok.. " monks need to refrain from celibacy " means that monks should have sex. Is that what you meant ?


What do you think?

And saying that evidence is needed to support the idea that one of the results of divorce is a rise in the numbers of serial killers is hardly " nitpicking" in my view. Its an extraordinary claim.


Ok granted.

But what I meant to say in that paragraph?

Can a guy be a clumsy with his words sometimes? If you don't understand this, I am assuming you are nit-picking.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Simon E. » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:49 pm

I have absolutely no idea what " refraining from celibacy can mean " unless you are saying that Monks SHOULD have sex.
Perhaps you meant to say "should be celibate " or should refrain from sex ".

Pointing out that someone may have just said the complete opposite to what they meant is hardly nit-picking... :smile:

:namaste:

Oh, and what is true for monks does not apply to lay people, and certainly does not apply to Dzogchen students per se.
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby LastLegend » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:54 pm

The common mentality is to pick on the mistakes instead of praising the right things that people say or do. This mentality cannot help make a person better.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Simon E. » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Whatever sir...whatever.
:namaste:
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby LastLegend » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Simon E. wrote:Whatever sir...whatever.
:namaste:


One Minute Manager needs to integrate the 6 Paramitas, in my opinion. Though the book reflects some of Buddhist teachings. Still a good book.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Linjii
―Listen! Those of you who devote yourselves to the Dharma
must not be afraid of losing your bodies and your lives―
User avatar
LastLegend
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Wesley1982 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Interesting detail about the Tummo practice. I've heard of the Kama Sutra of Sex Tantric Practice. But that is probably over-hyped or hyped-up
User avatar
Wesley1982
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm
Location: Magga ~ Path to Liberation.

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Wesley1982 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Sönam wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:I'm still not quite 100% sure what the Dzogchen view is on Sexual Yoga.


The Dzogchen view on that like on other points is very simple ... do your best, work with your circumstances and all that is your limitations. Therefore Sexual Yoga could be integrated in your Dzogchen practice ... but you have to go in essence.

Sönam


Dzogchen practice and Sexual Yoga is something I might take up with the right partner. :smile:
User avatar
Wesley1982
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm
Location: Magga ~ Path to Liberation.

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Saoshun » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:54 am

what creates good karma or bad karma is intention. if your intention is to put your effort to satisfy you partner needs even if it's lust it's very good karma. but if you use, abuse sex it's bad karma. all that is like a knife, you either save life someone with knife or take life with anger. it's just that. sex is neither good and bad itself as water is neither sweet or sour, it depends with what type of things it mixes.
Saoshun
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby gloriasteinem » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Your view is very noble, Shaosun :) at first time I wholely agree that it could be harmful but also beneficial because it could be a way to calm, give love, attention, etc. I personally think of it as a type of communicating with someone you love, but sometimes it could be much more than that like a feeling of release and calming, and many more. And as you say it depends on your heart feeling. :consoling:
Image
gloriasteinem
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Saoshun » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:47 am

In dual world people forget that this kind of stuff, sex and all that it's can be just expression of non dual experience. It's always karmic expressions around, just depends on which triggers it. So saying this is bad and this is good is ignorance because things manifest depends on the trigger and karmic set of the person. If person are not conscious they will be just puppets of karma.
Saoshun
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby seeker242 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:37 pm

Wesley1982 wrote:Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma? thanks.


I don't see how indulging in sense pleasures can be considered good karma. But, it's certainly not as bad as unwholesome conduct.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
User avatar
seeker242
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 pm
Location: South Florida, USA

Re: Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma?

Postby Saoshun » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:13 pm

seeker242 wrote:
Wesley1982 wrote:Is 'Wholesome Conduct' in Sex a good Karma? thanks.


I don't see how indulging in sense pleasures can be considered good karma. But, it's certainly not as bad as unwholesome conduct.


If you will know "skillful means" you will know that there is liberation in indulging in sense of pleasure.
Saoshun
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Exploring Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

>