Mulitple bodies and illusory bodies

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Mulitple bodies and illusory bodies

Postby DarwidHalim » Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 am

In Theravada tradition, the practitioners can achieve the level where their body can multiple to many bodies in this lifetime.

In tantra tradition, the practitioner can achieve illusory body, where this body can disappear.

I just wonder if someone can multiple his body, it will be easy for him to have illusory body as well. However, I don't know about it. It is just my intuition.

Frankly, I have doubt that illusory body can only be achieved through tantra teaching.

Any idea?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
DarwidHalim

Re: Mulitple bodies and illusory bodies

Postby Frank » Mon May 21, 2012 7:04 am

DarwidHalim wrote:In Theravada tradition, the practitioners can achieve the level where their body can multiple to many bodies in this lifetime.

In tantra tradition, the practitioner can achieve illusory body, where this body can disappear.

I just wonder if someone can multiple his body, it will be easy for him to have illusory body as well. However, I don't know about it. It is just my intuition.

Frankly, I have doubt that illusory body can only be achieved through tantra teaching.

Any idea?

i would imagine that the supernormal powers described in the pali canon would include an "illusory body", i think when it says "he becomes many", it is very ambiguous and certainly could imply that one becomes many and that the original body could very well disappear. i think the supernormal powers are so amazingly vast that they allow one who can achieve them to do virtually anything. here is a list of them paraphrased from the pali canon, DN 11:

"having been one he becomes many, having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unhindered through walls, and mountains as if through space. He dives in and out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting cross-legged he flies through the air like a bird. With his hand he touches and strokes even the sun and moon, so mighty and powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as other realms."

basically one with these powers is not restricted by the laws of physics.
Frank

Return to Exploring Buddhism