Need some pointers

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Need some pointers

Postby Pavardigar » Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 am

Hi all,
Have been around Buddhism for a while now, namely Theravada. Thought I have recently started my journey down the Mahayana path, esp. Deity Yoga. I need some tips from the Sanga here as to what could be going wrong with my visualizations. When I visualize the Medicine Buddha in front of me or inside my head I am able to open my third eye. Being selfless, only the Buddha's power resonates within me, or at least that is what I visualise. However when I try and become the Medicine Buddha, as in we are completely one nothing seems to occur. None of my power centres open up. Nada, zip.
So I guess my question is what am I doing wrong? I am new to the whole Deity Yoga thing so I'm sure something is up? Hope you can help?

Cheers
Parvardigar
Pavardigar

Re: Need some pointers

Postby kirtu » Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 am

Pavardigar wrote:Hi all,
Have been around Buddhism for a while now, namely Theravada. Thought I have recently started my journey down the Mahayana path, esp. Deity Yoga. I need some tips from the Sanga here as to what could be going wrong with my visualizations. When I visualize the Medicine Buddha in front of me or inside my head I am able to open my third eye. Being selfless, only the Buddha's power resonates within me, or at least that is what I visualise. However when I try and become the Medicine Buddha, as in we are completely one nothing seems to occur. None of my power centres open up. Nada, zip.
So I guess my question is what am I doing wrong? I am new to the whole Deity Yoga thing so I'm sure something is up? Hope you can help?

Forget about the power centers, they are not really a part of uncommon Mahayana (Vajrayana) and they are definitely not a part of common Mahayana. Of course deity yoga is not a part of common Mahayana either. Medicine Buddha is sort of a cross between common and uncommon Mahayana according to lamas like Thrangu Rinpoche.

Medicine Buddha practice is subtle but the main effect is to cure the disease of our defilements and bring us to perfect enlightenment. Medicine Buddha practice can also have subsidiary effects on improved health and improved circumstances for ourselves and others.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Exploring Buddhism