Exploring different Schools / Traditions?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Exploring different Schools / Traditions?

Postby dhamma_newb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi Dharma Wheel,

I am a member at Dhamma Wheel and have only studied and practiced in the Theravada tradition so far. I am pretty new to Buddhism (I took a Mindfulness course in January this year and decided to Go for Refuge in February).

Recently I listened to a Dharma talk by Dr. Reginald A. Ray and I really connected to the way he shares the Dharma. I am wondering if it is too early to go from Theravada to Vajrayana. Should I stick to learning and practicing in one tradition or is it okay to explore other traditions? If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

With Metta,
Don
dhamma_newb

Re: Exploring different Schools / Traditions?

Postby Mr. G » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:48 pm

At one time I was doing Mahasi vipassana and reading everything I could on Vajrayana/Dzogchen. There was no conflict for me.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Wesley1982 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 pm

That's what I'm in the process of doing these past few weeks.
Wesley1982

Postby dhamma_newb » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 am

Thanks for your replies!
dhamma_newb

Postby Infinite » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:03 am

I am in a similar situation and all I can suggest is keeping an open mind and not allowing any preconceptions form. I am finding my studies to be fun and informative while keeping an open mind to see what connects with me.
Infinite

Postby dhamma_newb » Sun May 06, 2012 6:20 am

Infinite wrote:I am in a similar situation and all I can suggest is keeping an open mind and not allowing any preconceptions form. I am finding my studies to be fun and informative while keeping an open mind to see what connects with me.

Nice approach Infinite. I recently attended a Theravada - based vipassana retreat held at a Zen center and the energy of the center was so beautiful. I also met the administrator of the center who practices Zen and his presence was very grounded, clear and powerful. I may explore more once I have more time in the Theravada tradition.
dhamma_newb

Postby Infinite » Sun May 06, 2012 10:02 pm

dhamma_newb wrote:
Infinite wrote:I am in a similar situation and all I can suggest is keeping an open mind and not allowing any preconceptions form. I am finding my studies to be fun and informative while keeping an open mind to see what connects with me.

Nice approach Infinite. I recently attended a Theravada - based vipassana retreat held at a Zen center and the energy of the center was so beautiful. I also met the administrator of the center who practices Zen and his presence was very grounded, clear and powerful. I may explore more once I have more time in the Theravada tradition.

Good to hear it is working out for you.
:namaste:
Infinite

Return to Exploring Buddhism