losing yourself in buddhism

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

losing yourself in buddhism

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:12 am

Hi all,

I often find that i am distracted by the different concepts / ideas and processes of the various schools of buddhism. As a result i find i go round in circles.

I often wonder whether i am doing the right thing.

I have come to the conclusion that all i need to do is....

study and practice the four noble truths, five precepts and the eightfold path. Finito!

Can you please confirm that my decision is the right one or is there anything else i should take into account.

i have no confidence in my direction i am taking my practice at the moment.

XX

Ryu
ryu

Re: losing yourself in buddhism

Postby alpha » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:32 am

your anchor should be a teacher
AOM
alpha

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks,

Maybe thats my problem. I have attended Therevadan and Tibetan buddhist groups but dont seem to get much out of them. Maybe i need to be more patient and try and ignore the restlessness.

x
ryu

Postby DarwidHalim » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 pm

If I can suggest, you need to get the backbone of the whole buddhism first.

In Theravada, you cannot it. Theravada teachings are very scatter. They are so many sutta, and if you don't know how to link all of them to build the whole path, you can get lost. You will lost the direction where you shall be heading to.

Mahayana is also similar. Mahayana is actually even wider.

But luckily, Atisha has helped us to compile the whole buddhist teaching into a very very good summary - gradual path from A to Z. So, you can learn from A to Z as the complete path.

The summary is called Lamrim. Each tibetan schools have their own Lamrim. Sakya lamrim is called Lamdre. Basically, they are all very similar.

Ignore the tantra first. That one is afterwards.

In case in the future, you think Theravada is better for you, once you read Theravada sutta, you will already know how to link one sutta to another sutta.

Lamrim is very systematic. If you follow it, you will not get lost.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
DarwidHalim

Postby Malcolm » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 pm

ryu wrote:Hi all,

I often find that i am distracted by the different concepts / ideas and processes of the various schools of buddhism.

Tenet systems is a dry hump.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby seeker242 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 pm

ryu wrote:Hi all,

I often find that i am distracted by the different concepts / ideas and processes of the various schools of buddhism. As a result i find i go round in circles.

I often wonder whether i am doing the right thing.

I have come to the conclusion that all i need to do is....

study and practice the four noble truths, five precepts and the eightfold path. Finito!

Can you please confirm that my decision is the right one or is there anything else i should take into account.

i have no confidence in my direction i am taking my practice at the moment.

XX

Ryu

I find the actual practice of sitting meditation to be very grounding, especially when it's connected to an actual sangha. I find that if you can just allow your mind to become clear, then proper direction just appears by itself out of that.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:27 pm

seeker242 wrote:I find the actual practice of sitting meditation to be very grounding, especially when it's connected to an actual sangha. I find that if you can just allow your mind to become clear, then proper direction just appears by itself out of that.

^^^ :twothumbsup: ^^^ Shine and Laktong (ie sitting meditation) plus your original idea (4NT, etc...) and the rest will sort itself out. Guaranteed!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks Greg,

Just the endorsement i was looking for :)

Have / Do any of you walk the path without a teacher?

We have some great teachers online these days on youtube etc and forums for asking our questions. In my ignorance im asking if it is necessary to have a teacher.

xx
ryu

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:03 pm

I spent 12 years practicing Sati meditation without a teacher. I was taught the technique and then when I left the company of the teacher (changed continents and ended up living on a remote Greek island) I had no choice but to continue alone with the help of some books. I only started looking for a teacher after some meditative experiences that I could not find the answers to in books.
:namaste:
PS Back then we did not have the luxury of internet where I lived.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:43 pm

have you ever used mantra to any effect.

I usually just watch the breathe but ive started reciting om mani padme hum which seems to work better for me. i am finding that the mantra occupies the space where the mental chatter is in my head whereas with the breathe the mental chatter often overpowers it.

I suffer with adhd and sometimes the chatter / EGO is too much and sitting becomes a nightmare.

x
ryu

Postby LightSeed » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:50 pm

This is a wonderful discussion. I too feel completely lost between the many many "flavours" of Buddhism. For the immediately present moment I am choosing to simply study whatever I can, and follow whichever speaks to me.
"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

— AN 5.198
LightSeed

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

I guess we are almost spoilt for choice.Its a little like asking a child what chocolate bar the want at the shop, the decision is too much! Im always asking myself should i have studied the alternative route instead.

I think it was Sogyal Rinpoche that said the mind is like a flea jumping from one place to the next. However powerful EGO is, it can even use Buddhism as a source of confusion!

The dharma sure has a battle on with my mind.

x
ryu

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:06 pm

ryu wrote:have you ever used mantra to any effect.

I usually just watch the breathe but ive started reciting om mani padme hum which seems to work better for me. i am finding that the mantra occupies the space where the mental chatter is in my head whereas with the breathe the mental chatter often overpowers it.

I suffer with adhd and sometimes the chatter / EGO is too much and sitting becomes a nightmare.

x
Mantra are designed to "occupy" the mind, speech and body of the practitioner to subdue mental wandering but sometimes even they are not enough. truth is though that even with a mantra as "harmless" as OM MANI... it is still a good idea to get an explanation and a ritual reading (trid-lung) from a "qualified"teacher. It really does give a different "depth" to the practice.

In the meantime you can alternate between mantra and quiet sitting (five minutes of each) slowly building up the time you spend on each practice. If you have adhd (and trust me, the chatter ios not a problem which plagues only those that suffer from adhd) the sati meditation will do wonders.
:namaste:
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks Greg,
:smile:
ryu

Postby LightSeed » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm

I have attention and focus problems myself, but since meditation was excruciating, and I can't seem to settle on a version of buddhism, I'm taking a secular mindfulness meditation course. It's been helpful so far in increasing my focus, but only marginally (I've just started).
"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

— AN 5.198
LightSeed

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:56 pm

im finding attention disorders are becoming more common place now due you think it could be a symptom of modern day living. if we were taken out of our chaotic day to day schedules, would we function better.

maybe diet plays a part as well. For alot of westerners our diet consists of alcohol, recreational drugs, red meat (injected with hormones), fat, sugar, and caffeine, (the latter two to increase our productivity use

aside from that we also have that box that occupies a space in our lounge you know the one that lies and flashes images of trash broadcasting and advertising.

x
ryu

Postby LightSeed » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm

That is so true. I've noticed my focus decline drastically the more "multi-tasking" I do. I've taken to watching tv with a laptop, while watching the multi-tasking channel of course (the one with tickers of weather, sports, news, commercials etc etc etc).

The less I do of these things, the more I can focus at other times. It's strange how I always thought that it makes me MORE productive, when in fact, it may possibly be making me much LESS productive.

I also second you on the diet part. I need to cut out all the sugar and caffeine, asap...they do nothing to improve my meditation. :D

— AN 5.198
LightSeed

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:23 pm

as i was writing out my last post i was chewing on a nice piece of lindt chocolate :rolling:
ryu

Postby LightSeed » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Drinking a Diet Coke and eating a chocolate chip muffin.

— AN 5.198
LightSeed

Postby ryu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 pm

whilst in full lotus position :smile:
ryu

Next

Return to Exploring Buddhism