Selling Dharma Books

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Selling Dharma Books

Postby purplelotus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 am

I have a few Dharma books that I was going to put on Amazon. Then I wondered whether this was ethical and maybe I should just give them to a charity shop. However, my aim is not to make a profit and I would probably reach a wider audience ie people actually looking for the title if I put it on Amazon?

What do you think?

Thanks

P
purplelotus

Re: Selling Dharma Books

Postby plwk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 am

One idea (has been done here on both Dhamma & Dharma Wheel) is that you can offer your books for free on a first come, first serve basis on this forum, let the interested parties pay for the shipping/delivery costs OR in your case list down your books & prices and see which party is keen (with the same conditions for shipping/delivery) and to contact you by private message.
Some I know will contribute a percentage of the sales to charitable causes or temples.

I think it's important and courtesy to get the approval of the Admin/Mods here should you want to conduct it on this forum platform and so far, what I have seen are those who offer their books on a complimentary & first come, first serve basis rather than selling it.

What I have heard said and read is that it's unfitting to profit personally from sales of Dharma related stuff, be it books, iconography and so forth and hence some organisations that levy a charge for Dharma related stuff would normally contribute a percentage of the sales towards charitable causes or temples. The motivation to make Dharma stuff available to all should be the priority over self profit and only for covering the cost of running the operations of making Dharma stuff available far and wide, kinda like how a non profit organisation is run. This is a debate topic on its own! lol

Just my two cents...The choice is yours...here or Amazon or the charity shop...
plwk

Postby purplelotus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks plwk. I think that is a good idea. Alternatively, I am going to a Dharma course in a few months time and might just donate them to the centre.

Best wishes

P
purplelotus

Postby Wesley1982 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 pm

purplelotus wrote:I have a few Dharma books that I was going to put on Amazon. Then I wondered whether this was ethical and maybe I should just give them to a charity shop. However, my aim is not to make a profit and I would probably reach a wider audience ie people actually looking for the title if I put it on Amazon?

What do you think?

If you were selling quality books on buddhism in a bookstore or on the side street I would stop and browse & check them out.
Wesley1982

Return to Exploring Buddhism