What happens when all sentient beings attain Buddhahood?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Nosta

Re: What happens when all sentient beings attain Buddhahood?

Postby Nosta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:52 pm

We are not Buddhas yet. I know thats a common thing, saying that we are already Buddhas, but thats only an idea to explain the fact that we have the potential to be Buddhas. With that exception, we are not, yet, Buddhas. I dont feel like a Buddha because i havnt attained Nirvana. I still have suffering ("suffering" here used in a broad context). I really dont feet enlightened.

I think that someone here in the forum once told the story of a master about this issue. The master replied (to someone who was saying that suffering is an illusion): try to put yourself in front of a car at high speed and then tell me if suffering is an illusion! Same thing about being already a Buddha.

So, when we say "I am already a Buddha" we are refering to the noumenon level. At the phenomenoun level we are not Buddhas.

Just my opinion.

lucidaromulus

Postby lucidaromulus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:55 pm

I actually had a chance to ask this question to Khensur Gyurmed Lobsang Jampa Rinpoche when he was visiting my country. He said "That's very good!" And laughed together with the audience.

It was a turning point for me, with that answer. I was too focused on the material implications(blame it on my material education :shrug: ) that I missed the point of the path. Am very thankful to have received that answer at that point of time. :namaste:

Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Ayu » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:43 am

Topic locked in order to prevent trials to discuss with users who do not participate anymore since years.
This thread is very old.
The latests news of the OP are interesting - if anyone wants to answer or to add something to this new post, let the team know. We'll unlock the topic then. :namaste:
With regards
Ayu
"We're fascinated by the words - but where we meet is in the silence behind them."
Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche

:meditate:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”