Question ~ Answer Thread

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Wesley1982

Re: Question ~ Answer Thread

Post by Wesley1982 »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Wesley1982 wrote:What are the basics of Buddha-Dharma? thanks.
It was answered on page 1. http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... t=0#p92100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Do you actually read what people say or do you just ask questions for the sake of asking?
:namaste:
No, waaaaaay over here at Dharma Wheel I just like to browse and hang out. Should I be more selective and discernment with my general questions?ok.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Wesley1982 wrote:No, waaaaaay over here at Dharma Wheel I just like to browse and hang out. Should I be more selective and discernment with my general questions?ok.
Dude, as long as you are not breaking ToS then go for it! All I am saying is that when you ask questions and people go to the effort of answering them you should show a little gratitude and read the answer. That's all!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ingrown

Post by Ingrown »

What is the longest living lineage of Buddhism that mainstream academia acknowledges?
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Ingrown wrote:What is the longest living lineage of Buddhism that mainstream academia acknowledges?
As far as I know, there is no lineage that is acknowledged by academia in general. In religious training institutions, one might find something approximating academic acknowledgement, simply because everyone wants their lineage to be the real thing, but it seems the better institutions are wise to this form of self deception.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

What is the longest living lineage of Buddhism that mainstream academia acknowledges?
Thervadin tradition is the oldest living tradition but unfortunately it is only one of about 12/13 schools left that were originally of about the same age. Even then the Pali canon was written down a few hundred years after the Buddha died
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”