Question ~ Answer Thread

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
krodha

Re: Question ~ Answer Thread

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote:ok,

I've been reading this info about 'What the Buddha
taught'
. . at the Chapter 6 section It discusses
'Anatta' doctrine of no soul.

So, why no soul in Buddhist thought? . .
Buddhism teaches that what we normally take to be a "self" (our own separate self-ness aka what makes you Wesley) is merely a series of aggregates or "skandhas"... Like pieces that when all pieced together create the illusion of a self and a world. Buddhas discovery was that there was no self and no world.. Both are illusions. And this discovery was an experiential release from the illusion which brought him to an inexpressible truth beyond birth and death, the dharma is his method to lead others to this truth.

About this the Buddha said:

"It is just the dharmas[aggregates, appearances] that combine to form this body. When it arises, it is simply the dharmas arising; when it ceases, it is simply the dharmas ceasing. When these dharmas arise, [the bodhisattva aka enlightened one] does not state, 'I arise'; when these dharmas cease, he does not state, 'I cease'."

And also:

"There is a sphere of being where there is no earth, no water, no fire, nor wind; no experience of infinity of space, of infinity of consciousness, of no-thingness, or even of neither perception nor non-perception; here there is neither this world, nor another world, neither moon nor sun; this sphere of being I call neither a coming, nor a going, nor a staying still, neither a dying nor a reappearance; it has no basis, no evolution, and no support; it is the end of dukkha."
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Here is what I understand thus far,

I can go to a Christian priest for questions about Christianity.

And go to a Buddhist teacher for questions about Buddhism.

Would that possibly work out? mm
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

Wesley1982 wrote:Here is what I understand thus far,

I can go to a Christian priest for questions about Christianity.

And go to a Buddhist teacher for questions about Buddhism.

Would that possibly work out? mm
Well it would be a little strange to go to a Christian Minister to ask questions about Buddhism or go to a Buddhist Monk to ask questions about Christianity.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Why the mention of reincarnation? Is that positive or negative I'm not too sure about that.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Wesley1982 wrote:ok,

I've been reading this info about 'What the Buddha taught' . . at the Chapter 6 section It discusses 'Anatta' doctrine of no soul.

So, why no soul in Buddhist thought? . .
If I may swipe another's words, "We have no need of that hypothesis."

Also, a soul has the nature of the essence of a man. Buddhism does not go in for essences, as they conflict with doctrines of non self.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Wesley1982 wrote:Why the mention of reincarnation? Is that positive or negative I'm not too sure about that.
Reincarnation is returning as the same person. In Buddhism it is rebirth, the mind reborn into one of the six realms. If it has good Karma and good merit, it returns to this realm in a precious human rebirth. This is in my understanding of what I've learned

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Just to make things more interesting for Wesley; there is evidence that reincarnation was believed in by early Xtians - even taught by Jesus. Consider these examples:

http://reincarnation.ws/reincarnation_i ... ament.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Ch. 7 pg. 48 of Walpo Rahula's 'What the Buddha taught' talks about meditation and Bhavana mental culture.

What are some ways to introduce me to that? or learn about Bhavana? thanks.
Dave The Seeker

Keep reading, about 20 more pages in that book, and you'll have the definition of Bhavana.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
mint

Post by mint »

Will wrote:Just to make things more interesting for Wesley; there is evidence that reincarnation was believed in by early Xtians - even taught by Jesus. Consider these examples:

http://reincarnation.ws/reincarnation_i ... ament.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow. It's one thing to fail to admit that you know nothing about 1st century Palestinian Judaism or early Christianity, but it's wholly another to post tripe like this as in the least bit possibly tenable.
mint

Post by mint »

Wesley1982 wrote:Why the mention of reincarnation? Is that positive or negative I'm not too sure about that.
Rebirth is always a negative, especially when the end result should be escaping samsara.

From a samsaric POV, though, being born as a human is always a positive as it amounts to more opportunities to attain enlightenment; however, being born as a human as its hang-ups, as well, such as a pervasive feeling of alienation from our Base, from other people, and from our True Self. We have this urgent need to escape from the profound insecurity of this situation which gives rise to insatiable desires for pleasure, possession, and power which then leads to violence, war, and institutional injustice. So, Buddhism ultimately sees humanity as strained - sort of like a spider suspended above the abyss by a thread.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

When I've ventured out on Life's Journey what would a experienced Buddhist tell me? . .
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

To stop asking so many questions and get on with living! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dave The Seeker

mint wrote: Rebirth is always a negative, especially when the end result should be escaping samsara.
In my understanding a Mayhayana Bodhisattva wishes to be reborn, in order to deliver all sentient beings out of samsara.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Wesley1982 wrote:what does a bodhi tree look like?
purty.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Sorta like this I think

Fig family.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

catmoon wrote:Sorta like this I think

Fig family.
Ahem - that's HOLY fig family, sir.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I've heard of Buddha-Dharma but what happens to the Sang-ha? . .
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

What are the basics of Buddha-Dharma? thanks.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Wesley1982 wrote:What are the basics of Buddha-Dharma? thanks.
It was answered on page 1. http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... t=0#p92100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Do you actually read what people say or do you just ask questions for the sake of asking?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”