Incest

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Incest

Postby whitegrass » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:24 pm

What does the Buddha say about incest? Is incest morally permissible in Buddhism?
whitegrass

Re: Incest

Postby Astus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Incest is an immoral act in Buddhism, and it is part of the third lay vow that one does not engages in such an act.

This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "There are these two bright qualities that safeguard the world. Which two? Conscience & concern (for the results of unskillful actions). If these two bright qualities did not guard the world, there would be no recognition of 'mother' here, no recognition of 'mother's sister,' 'uncle's wife,' 'teacher's wife,' or 'wife of those who deserve respect.' The world would be immersed in promiscuity, like rams with goats, roosters with pigs, or dogs with jackals. But because these two bright qualities guard the world, there is recognition of 'mother,' 'mother's sister,' 'uncle's wife,' 'teacher's wife,' & 'wife of those who deserve respect.'"

Those in whom concern & conscience are not always found have strayed from the bright root, are headed to birth & death. But those in whom concern & conscience are rightly established always, who are mature in the holy life: they are calm, their further becoming ended.

(Iti 42)
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby LastLegend » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Don't do it.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby plwk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:19 pm

What about the Lord's former wife, Yasodhara, who was His own cousin, daughter to Pamita, King Suddhodana's sister?
That's incestous marriage by today's standards in some cultures (but allowable in some others) ?

An interesting excerpt I found...
http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=484
Incest (agammagamaṇa, literally ‘going to what should not be gone to,’ or adhamma raga, ‘wrong desire’), is sexual behaviour between close relatives. Incest is sometimes thought of as sexual contact between a parent and child or between siblings, but many cultures consider even sex between second or third cousins to be incestuous. Incest between parents and children and between siblings existed in ancient India. The Vedas include several myths in which the gods commit incest; e.g. Agni, Brahma and Prajāpati. It is occasionally mentioned in Buddhist literature too.

In the Udaya Jātaka the Bodhisattva is a prince who is compelled to marry his half-sister. Although the two sleep in the same room for many years they remain celibate (Ja.IV,105). In the Dasaratha Jātaka the princes Rāma and Lakkhaṇa marry their sister (Ja.IV,130).

As with many ancient peoples the Sākyans, the tribe the Buddha belonged to, had a myth about their origins which included brother-sister incest. When the Koliyans were involved in a dispute with the Sakyans they taunted them by sayings that they ‘cohabited with their sisters like dogs, jackals and other animals’ (Ja.V,413).

During the Buddha’s life there was an incident where a nun became infatuated with her son who was a monk and had sex with him, an offence entailing expulsion from the Saṅgha (Vin.III,35). When this was brought to the Buddha’s attention He said,
‘Does not this foolish man know that a mother shall not lust after her son or a son after his mother?’ (A.III,67-8).
Perhaps referring to this incident the Buddha also said, ‘Shame and fear of blame, are the two states that protect the world.
If they did not protect the world it would not be clear who was one’s mother or mother’s sister, one’s uncle’s wife and the world would fall into confusion. The promiscuity seen amongst goats and sheep, chickens and pigs, dogs and jackals would prevail.’ (A.I,51).
plwk

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 pm

I think it's worth noting here that what Buddha did before and after enlightenment are different things. Before enlightenment he was very much part of samsara and wrapped up in it.

Gassho
Seishin.
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Jikan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Seishin wrote:I think it's worth noting here that what Buddha did before and after enlightenment are different things. Before enlightenment he was very much part of samsara and wrapped up in it.

Gassho
Seishin.

Indeed. It's also important to define carefully what is meant by the term incest. In some cultures, relations between first cousins (for instance) are not considered taboo.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:48 pm

whitegrass wrote:What does the Buddha say about incest? Is incest morally permissible in Buddhism?

I would love to know why you ask.

If you are concerned with the karma of Jamie and Cersei Lannister, I assure you they are in more trouble for other deeds.

(Sorry, my nerdery would not permit me to leave a thread about incest without a Game of Thrones reference.)
Josef

Return to Exploring Buddhism