Demonic Possession?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Buddhist Prime

Demonic Possession?

Post by Buddhist Prime »

Has there ever been a demonic possession ever recorded in Buddhism?
And if so has there ever been a Buddhist Exorcism that expelled the demon?

I'm just curious as to why Christianity is so full of them,
yet I have never heard of Buddhism ever having anything like it.
I always concluded that maybe Christianity had demons in it
already that's why it has had such a bloody history, I dunno.
Because I read this book, The Dark Side of Christian History:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Side-Chr ... 610&sr=8-1

On Yahoo Answers, anytime somebody asked about how to cast a demon out,
I would copy and paste this answer:
Buddhism has never had a case of demonic possession, or a need for Exorcisms, or problems with ghosts or demons, that should tell ya something. The cross thing-a-ma-jig doesn't work like people think it does, ya need something more powerful.

Acquire the Protection of the Buddha.
Wear a Buddhist Swastika Necklace for protection. You can get them from here: http://www.ezluxe.com/accessories/index ... 18c387352a
Of course, I really don't know, so to be sure, I figured I ask and see if anybody knows anything.

I live in Magnolial, Texas, which is in the Bible Belt big time, in this small hill-billy inbred hick town there are 24 Churches, and just on the outskirts of the city, in another town, I have found small Vietnamese Buddhist Temples hidden from the Red-Necks out here. They tell me of the horrors that these Pink-Faced Devils have done to them. I have educated many Pink-Faced Devils when they unexpectedly came across me at the Temple, they see me as Jizo, protector of the Holy Dharma, and of women and children. I kind of look like him a little:

See my Signature to understand why I use the Swastika.
My Profile, everything you ever wanted to know about me and why:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7649
Quiet Heart

Re: Demonic Possession?

Post by Quiet Heart »

:smile:
Well, there are Buddhist traditions who seriously believe in casting out demons and have practices to do that.
It's not my thing or style of Buddhisim, but I'll readily admit I just don't know myself, so I can't say it isn't true.
What I would acknowledge is that those who do believe they are afflicted with Demons do feel they are helped by the rites to expel those demons.
Whether that is because those demons were really expelled or the demons were only there in the sufferers mind all along...I just don't know.
But whatever, from what I'm told , they seem to work.
Beyond that, I just can't say.
I'm sure other people will be commenting soon enough, anyhow.
:shrug:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

That remark about "Buddhism has never had a case of demonic possession" is wrong. There have been and are many cases.

Chapter eight of the Shurangama Sutra deals with many demonic forces.

Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua 'exorcised' several cases.

Here is Master Hua talking a little about demonic possession:
Question: What is the cause of insanity?

Answer: In most cases there is a demonic ghost troubling the person, which is the cause of the insanity. It has its ghostly penetrations and so can control the person. Heavenly demons and those of outside ways can do that, and so can li, mei, and wang liang ghosts, as well as deviant spirits and goblins. Once there was a person with that kind of sickness who was unaware of anything, and whom no one could cure. Eventually an exorcist was called in who recited a mantra over a bowl and asked a child to look and say what it saw—which was a snake. The exorcist cut the snake’s reflection with a knife and the person got well.

Later on the person talked of how a big snake beside a temple had prevented him from leaving, until the snake had been hit by lightening and he was able to return. Then in a few days he became sick again, and began moving around like a snake. A witchdoctor was summoned to speak with the snake, which turned out to be the grandparent of the snake that had been struck by lightening, and was making the person crazy.

This kind of thing happens a lot. Usually vengeance is involved when a person goes insane. Perhaps he killed or harmed people, and this is his retribution from creating that karma. So the best thing is not to tie up such conditions, but to hold the five precepts of not killing, not stealing, not committing sexual misconduct, not engaging in false speech, and not taking intoxicants. If you hold the five precepts you won’t have so many involvements. You can recite the Great Compassion Mantra when you are around the insane in order to pacify the deviant spirits and vengeful ghosts.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Yessu

Post by Yessu »

I had never heard of possession in Buddhism until I joined an esoteric sect from China.
They talk about demons in much the same context as the previous poster mentioned.

Demons are beings from other realms that get into people's bodies and cause different types of mental and physical illnesses and there are certain ways to remove them.

I can't illuminate you much more than that, but my gut feeling is that it is true.
Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake – FC
http://awakeningwithinadream.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buddhist Prime

Post by Buddhist Prime »

I wonder if there are any Buddhist rites for Exorcising Demons?
plwk

Post by plwk »

I wonder if there are any Buddhist rites for Exorcising Demons?
Depends on what is definition of 'demons' in the Buddha Dharma. The '4 kinds of Maras' comes to mind.
Depends on which Tradition one is following. It can range from pacifying to subduing activity... some can be done oneself whilst others may require a group effort or experienced worthy teachers...
The 'best exorcism rite' for anyone imo is practice with a worthy teacher, kalyanamitras and one's own daily and faithful Dharma practice ...
Last edited by plwk on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

There is a lot of it in Vajrayana. Fierce methods are usually a last resort though. Bodhicitta and Chod are the mainstays as I understand it.

Here's an example of possession
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=7311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Konchog1 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Yes the demons from within are greed, anger, and ignorance. Because of these, you are compatible with the external demons and prone to possession.
It’s eye blinking.
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Yes, they are records for this.

We are not living alone. There are spirit and hungry ghost. They are real and not imagination. Some people have the ability to see and some people who cannot see can build that ability to see as well.

Tsongkhapa in his meditaion cave saw this spirit/hungry ghost that want to disturb him. Padmashambava has tackled so many demons during his journey to Tibet. During the construction of Samye Monastery, he has to do something to subdue that local spirit, because during construction, Samya Monastery always collapse after it reached certain levels.

There are many records actually. In the meditation instruction as well, for beginner, it is better not to do a meditation at night, unless you know how to protect yourself.

In the HUsk of Unity by Getse Mahapandita Tsewang Chokdup, he gave a very specific way or visualization in expelling the obstruction forces.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Buddhist Prime wrote:I wonder if there are any Buddhist rites for Exorcising Demons?
Oh yes, as a matter of fact we have an active practitioner of such rituals right here on the board and I expect him to pop in at any moment.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

And active demons too... :twisted:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Buddhist Prime

Post by Buddhist Prime »

catmoon wrote:
Buddhist Prime wrote:I wonder if there are any Buddhist rites for Exorcising Demons?
Oh yes, as a matter of fact we have an active practitioner of such rituals right here on the board and I expect him to pop in at any moment.
Who, I would very much love to talk with them?
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Any attachment is a devil. Of course if you have attachment there is influence of demons.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

In the Vajrayana tradition there are many different practices for this. But remember that in Buddhism there is a non-dual understanding of these things.. all beings are interdependent.. and nothing is solid and real in a permanent nature as is believed by Christians.. so-called demons are just another form of suffering sentient being that is in need of compassion.. not something to feel is an enemy. The real enemies are the 5 poisons -- ignorance, hatred, grasping, pride, jealousy... some beings are in such intense patterns of negative action and feedback that they may need to be "liberated", but this is a compassionate transference of their consciousness to a pure dimension where their patterns will dissolve.. I actually own a field recording of Ngakpa Yeshe Dorje doing an exorcism-- you can find it on amazon-- it is called "Tibetan Buddhism Shedur: A Ghost Exorcism Ritual - the Venerable Yeshe Dorje Rinpoche, Master of the Rite" here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Recordings- ... 62&sr=1-13
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Plenty of rituals. I assisted a Gelugpa Lharampa Geshe with one, which he said was translated into Tibetan by Je Tsongkhapa.
It was very effective in removing spirits who were causing some pretty nasty poltergeist-type events in an old cottage. The Catholics had tried already and failed, which was interesting. Yes, there was an element of Chod and other offerings, a crossroads etc etc.

I have also been told that the Heart Sutra, with the claps, encourages them to move on.

As for demonic or 'spirit' possession of a body, I could envisage more than one mind making use of a body, but not simultaneously - think of Tibetan oracles, for example. I've not heard of two minds at the same time, and of course multiple personality disorders would at one time have been understood as 'possession'.
Left
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

In the world of Christianity there are exorcist prayers available for anyone that might need help.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

When the mind is not one (example half good half evil), demons will use this opportunity to possess. If your mind is all evil, demons don't need to possess you because you are the demon. :rolling:
It’s eye blinking.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Blue Garuda wrote:Plenty of rituals. I assisted a Gelugpa Lharampa Geshe with one, which he said was translated into Tibetan by Je Tsongkhapa.
It was very effective in removing spirits who were causing some pretty nasty poltergeist-type events in an old cottage. The Catholics had tried already and failed, which was interesting. Yes, there was an element of Chod and other offerings, a crossroads etc etc.
It's generally considered that christian exorcisms are not effective against poltergeists. You tend to just piss them off.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”