My theory about Buddhism

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

My theory about Buddhism

Postby himalayanspirit » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 pm

This is what I have understood so far in my journey on the path laid down by Buddha Shakyamuni.

Buddhism is simply the way of eliminating attachment to the following three realm:

1. Eliminate attachment to Desire realm (goal - Arhat)
2. Eliminate attachment to the form real (Bodhisattva)
3. Eliminate attachment to the formless realm (Buddha)

So is my understanding correct?

So far I am in the stage of eliminating attachment to desire and there is a very long road ahead.

When we do not meditate but live our life without dharma we are in the desire realm. When we meditate and cultivate the Dharma a little, we may reach the realm of form (Form Jhanas). When we meditate more we reach the formless Jhanas. FInally, through effort, even the formless realms are abandoned. So this is what Buddha did in his lifetime. He was dwelling in desire realm as a prince, then abandoned desire realm by entering the homeless life. Just like his contemporaries Alara Kalama and Udaka Ramaputta, he entered the realm of form through practice. Seeing that Alara and Udaka were both still attached to the realm of form, he move ahead to cultivate (discover) the formless realms. Then finally at the age of 29 he cut off all attachments to even the formless realms. This is enlightenment.

All the folkore of many lifes over eons, past life, etc are all myths created to inspire the ignorant ancient men and women. The real process is more direct and could be achieved in a single life.

Your thoughts, please.
himalayanspirit

Re: My theory about Buddhism

Postby Aemilius » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm

himalayanspirit wrote:This is what I have understood so far in my journey on the path laid down by Buddha Shakyamuni.

Buddhism is simply the way of eliminating attachment to the following three realm:

1. Eliminate attachment to Desire realm (goal - Arhat)
2. Eliminate attachment to the form real (Bodhisattva)
3. Eliminate attachment to the formless realm (Buddha)

So is my understanding correct?

So far I am in the stage of eliminating attachment to desire and there is a very long road ahead.

When we do not meditate but live our life without dharma we are in the desire realm. When we meditate and cultivate the Dharma a little, we may reach the realm of form (Form Jhanas). When we meditate more we reach the formless Jhanas. FInally, through effort, even the formless realms are abandoned. So this is what Buddha did in his lifetime. He was dwelling in desire realm as a prince, then abandoned desire realm by entering the homeless life. Just like his contemporaries Alara Kalama and Udaka Ramaputta, he entered the realm of form through practice. Seeing that Alara and Udaka were both still attached to the realm of form, he move ahead to cultivate (discover) the formless realms. Then finally at the age of 29 he cut off all attachments to even the formless realms. This is enlightenment.

All the folkore of many lifes over eons, past life, etc are all myths created to inspire the ignorant ancient men and women. The real process is more direct and could be achieved in a single life.

Your thoughts, please.

You should study the sutras, with a teacher if possible, more thoroughly and more carefully. Both of his teachers, Alara and Udaka, had attained the formless realms. According to the sutras both Hinayana and Mahayana will lead you through the form and formless realms into the state of Nirvana. There are differences, there are the three kinds of followers, through faith, through wisdom & through meditation. Etc..
svaha
Aemilius

Postby maybay » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm

The paradigm of the Arhat hinges on his attachment/non-attachment. Arhat's are unattached to the three realms of samsara but may still be attached to nirvana.
The Bodhisattva has seen reality and undertakes the gradual path of ascending the bhumis.
The Buddha is perfectly unattached and perfectly realized. He has many wonderous qualities and performs extraordinary activities.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Postby Jinzang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 pm

You have listed three of the ten fetters which bind to existence. A non-returner has eliminated attachment to the desire realm and an arhat has eliminated attach to the pure form and formless realms. These last two fetters are actually attachment to the bliss of samadhi. A bodhisattva will also eliminate attachment to these fetters somewhere on the bhumis. I'm not sure where, but certainly by the 6th.
Lamrim, lojong, and mahamudra are the unmistaken path.
Jinzang

Return to Exploring Buddhism