YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Cartoon violence and death - Dhamma Wheel

Cartoon violence and death

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Wizard in the Forest

Cartoon violence and death

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:03 am

I didn't know if this would be the right forum section to discuss this kind of topic, but I wanted to talk about this topic and see what you all think.

In the year 2000 Harvard's school of public health found out that 62% of all cartoons they collected featured one murder or death either on or off-screen. They also said violence increased by a significant amount since the release of Snow White.

After watching this video I became receptive to the rising levels of violence in the medium of animation. Now, I'm no censor, but I think this is a rather alarming change, and I would like to know if you think there's a direct relationship between rising violence and violent portrayals through the media of animation.

Given this observation, do you think it could cause problems to watch these kinds of animated media?

My opinion is that it seems to desensitize people to violence, and therefore should be either mindfully observed carefully, or perhaps avoided altogether.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir

zavk

Re: Cartoon violence and death

Postby zavk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:53 am

Hi WITF and others

Study into the 'effects' of violent imagery in cartoons, films, video games, books, music, etc have been going on and on for many decades (at least as long as TV has existed). Yet, many of these researches, when you examine the methodologies and assumptions underlying them a little more closely, are problematic. To give a quick example: I think a few of us here enjoy watching The Simpsons, and I think there are a few gamers here too. When confronted with arguments about how the violence of Itchy and Scratchy or video games will have a one-way, causal 'effect' on us, some of us would feel that it doesn't quite describe our enjoyment of these entertainment forms. The meanings people derive from entertainment forms--how meanings are shaped and contested; how meaning is not fixed--is a complex process. The studies that make the news tend to take the approach of what has been called a 'behaviourist' or 'effects' paradigm. There are some fundamental problems with this approach. Research in the field of media and or cultural studies have, for many years now, demonstrated the problems with this approach, and have also demonstrated that audiences are not as 'passive' as we'd like to think. These studies actually spend time speaking to audiences, spend time observing and understanding how they engage with entertainment genres in the context of their everyday lives rather than simply count the rate of violence on screen or bung people into a lab, make them watch something, and then ask them to answer a questionnaire--is that how an average person 'normally' watches TV? For me, I certainly would not consider myself an unthinking, passive audience. Would you think of yourself that way?

In any event, studies that show how audiences are 'active' (or how they can interpret things 'against the grain') tend not to make the news because the are not as SENSATIONAL as those 'effects' studies--they tend not to support the MORALISING attitude (i.e. telling others that they should know better) that effects studies promote--and if we are honest enough, 'we' (the general public) have a bad habit of pointing a finger at others, a bad habit of judging others as somehow morally or mentally deficient, as somehow less discerning than 'ourselves'. I wonder why?

Anyway, if you are interested in reading about the problems associated with the 'effects model' of media research, here is a useful site:

:popcorn:
With metta,
zavk

Wizard in the Forest

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:08 am

This is a very important point. I never feel passive when watching anything. I suspend my disbelief and allow these fantastic ideas influence my emotions. This is obviously why I am bothered by this. For example, when I play video games even though I know it is unreal, it builds up a feeling of frustration the more I lose them. When I watch and see violent cartoons and TV I empathize with the characters if I feel like they're "real enough". I also can't count how many times a certain character (even though I know they're not real) has annoyed me. Is it the idea of the situation? Is it my suspending disbelief? Is it a form of intoxication?

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:10 am

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" ().

(Buddhist-related blog)
(non-Buddhist related blog)

Wizard in the Forest

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:11 am

That's a relief, but you don't think it desensitizes people to violence?

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 am

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" ().

(Buddhist-related blog)
(non-Buddhist related blog)

zavk

Postby zavk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:09 am

With metta,
zavk

unspoken

Postby unspoken » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 am

No wonder nowadays kids kept fighting with each other.

Change to spongebob! Violence free cartoon! :jumping:

GrahamR

Postby GrahamR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:02 am

With metta :bow:
Graham

unspoken

Postby unspoken » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 am

Return to “Lounge”