Shaving my head, reconnecting and giving my all to practice.

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Paliut

Shaving my head, reconnecting and giving my all to practice.

Post by Paliut »

Hello i started my journey this last summer, and I posted one or two posts here on this forum. From there i tend to lurk :tongue: yes, i'm truly a professional at that. Anyways due to the title of topic, i know some must think this for ordination. So i should begin my clearing things up.

I am not ordaining nor do i plan to anytime soon unless i feel a calling to become a monastic. Let me begin with the background to my decision. I thought in mid December, that after school ended and i had break for two and a half months i shall get back into Buddhism. I had not ignored the Dharma i learned, but simple was distracted by work, school, and everyday distractions. Of course its now Jan, and since i got nothing to do but waste time, i've decided that i want to spend one month, the rest of 'break' to finally submerge myself in the teaching and the practice.

At the moment i attend Hsi Lai Temple, Pureland-Zen/Humanistic Buddhist Temple. I'm sure some are familiar with Fo Guang Shan. I have been taking classes and still plan to, i go to events like conferences, lectures, etc.

Well the shaving of the head is not in ANY way to attempt at being a monastic, i'd never want to come off as trying to a
wanna-be
. I do not plan on that as my intentions are good. The goal to shaving my head, is in my humble humble opinion, is to let go of a part of ego. At least in my case, i am very aware that my hair is part of my egotistic self. Vanity, whenever someone comes in, i better do my hair! thoughts like "do i look well? is my hair well? etc. I'm sure there are other ways to comprehend and cease thoughts like this, but i feel like 'mutilating' myself is a good thing here. Mutilating may sound terrible, but in my perspective i think it will help me learn to not only face my fear of " ahh my hair" but realize that I am not my hair.

Consciously I know i am not my hair, but when i am not mindfull i forget as many people may. I think this might be a physical reminder.

I share this with you all, dharma friends, to see your thoughts... If you think this is a idea which can be beneficial.

Sincerely,
Your Dharma Online Buddy ( I HOPE :rolling: )
Paliut.

P.S. A thought came to me, this is not something i want it to be a one time thing, turn around and forget. I want this to be a stepping stone into the world of the Dharma. Not a phase, etc.
Huifeng

Re: Shaving my head, reconnecting and giving my all to practice.

Post by Huifeng »

Paliut wrote: At the moment i attend Hsi Lai Temple, Pureland-Zen/Humanistic Buddhist Temple. I'm sure some are familiar with Fo Guang Shan. I have been taking classes and still plan to, i go to events like conferences, lectures, etc.
Hi,

If you are around Hsi Lai this week, you may note that there is a program on with Whittier College students. If you are interested have a little look. You can ask to talk to Jacob H who is running the program this year. He may have some other thoughts about how you can participate and go further. In particular, the Woodenfish program on this coming summer.

All the best! :smile:

~~ Huifen
Paliut

Re: Shaving my head, reconnecting and giving my all to practice.

Post by Paliut »

Hello again Huifeng it's always great to hear from you. I will for sure look into that anything to help my practice. what exactly is that program occuring this summer? a little intro. Have ypu ever been residing at hsi lai huifeng?

assuming that you didn't mention my decision to shave my head, im taking it that it could be well for experience.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”