YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Why didn't the Buddha teach around the world? - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Why didn't the Buddha teach around the world?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Why didn't the Buddha teach around the world?

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:37 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:47 am

Sorry Paul..I thought that as grasshopper appeared to be answering mine and quoting it that there was a Peter/Paul mix up. I blame those Popes..

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:54 am

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:32 am

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Haha...my apologies guys for the Paul/Peter mix up. I have no idea where the name Paul came up; may an unknown retrospective influence from a futurist. :rofl:

Being an agnostic, I neither accept these flying stories/rebirth/nibbana stories nor reject them. Was merely trying to prove a point that they could be in the same league, so to speak. But you know, fantastical stories come out of all continents. One American fantasy story was: Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction :tongue: An Australian one: John Howards candidacy for the ICC Presidentship/Vice-presidentship hehe.

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:40 pm

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:44 pm

- Peter

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Anicca

Postby Anicca » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:50 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I agree. There simply is no point arguing about the existence of that which even if it exists the Buddha himself said is not condusive to Enlightenment. It seems to just descend into point scoring on a point of principle.
Iddhis, Devas, non human Rebirth ...no one one was ever Enlightened by the consideration of such matters. And I think it safe to assume that one one was ever prevented from Enlightenment by a lack of consideration of such issues.

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:11 am

I think the OP question is a fair one and I'm glad to see it has received some intelligent speculation in reply. I like most the answer regarding focusing his efforts to establish a community. That makes good sense to me.

I think answering with "Because it was too far to walk, dummy" is unhelpful and, frankly, infantile. If you don't want to talk about Buddha powers as they are described in the scriptures then no one is forcing you. There are lots of other threads you can participate in.
- Peter

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:27 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:42 am

Last edited by Shonin on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:45 am

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:52 am

Last edited by Shonin on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:53 am

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:02 am

somo

Postby somo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:10 pm

in the story , all the buddhas were rebirth in india. india is the good place to start teaching. and before Bodhisattwa will rebirth. he will choose his mother and father(only king or Brahma). and when Bodhisattwa were rebirth. as the same time many people who did the good karma in the past were rebirth at that time. this is the one reason that the buddha didn't teach the other place. could the buddha go the places where was very far from india? yes! the buddha could do. please you don't forget that the buddha has 6 Abhinna.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Abhinna

why didn't the buddha do?

the main reason that the buddha has no craving. so that a little time , the buddha did the magic power. and because did not have the craving so that the buddha was not increase the people who believe. one time that i see , the buddha did the magic power. when to help angulimala. that time angulimala wanted to kill 1000 persons at time he killed and cut the fingers 999 person. only one person he wanted to kill again. and the time the king wanted to catch him like a prisoner. the mother of angulimala knew the king might kill angulimala. she went to the place where angulimala to stay. buddha knew by 6 Abhinna. angulimala might kill his mother because angulimala did the bad karma. the bad karma was control his mind. buddha knew angulimala had the lake of awareness. that time he forgot who was mother? buddha knew angulimala might kill his mother. the buddha wanted to stop him before killed his mother. buddha did check angulimala by 6 Abhinna. in the past before rebirth angulimala ever did a lot of good karma. buddha knew he could be arahat in the next time. and when angulimala saw the buddha. angulimala would kill the buddha. budda knew his mind and waiting by did to use the magic power by walk very fast until angulimala could not follow. okay i posted on utube that english version and thai version follow the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_UBvLH2BwY

:zzz:
*happiness=pain,h/p=1,mind=1,suffering=p*t(time of craving)*
*real happiness will not change to the pain later*
*h^max=p^max..p can solves by decreases..h*

EricJ

Postby EricJ » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:17 am

I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”