YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

I've been here before - Dhamma Wheel

I've been here before

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Agmanellium

I've been here before

Postby Agmanellium » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:26 pm

The stillness. The breath. The sense of light, more felt than seen, afloat in a field of consciousness that I cannot say is myself or other. I have been here before, but it is distant, elusive, like a dream just remembered and slipped away. I cannot pin it down. I was a very spiritual Christian once. I would find myself afloat in the very real presence of God's being, a warm gold-white light. Is it this I remember? I took heavy doses of psychedelics in college. I would find myself settling out like silt in water. My awareness, my breath, in an infinite blue-white light. When I was sick as a child I would find myself in an awareness greater than myself, extensive and cavernous. What are these things? Are they what I remember now? I do not know. Something in it yet remains elusive.

Does anyone else experience this?

Aloka

Re: I've been here before

Postby Aloka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

I took psychedelics when I was at university and had various experiences - and I really don't recommend people take them because one can get lost in a fantasy la- la land with the experiences.

I've also had different experiences in meditation -but I find it best to let them go and not to attach any importance to them.

Perhaps you should try to find an offline Theravada meditation teacher and class, Agmanellium , if you don't have one already.

Kind wishes,

Aloka

Agmanellium

Postby Agmanellium » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:29 am

Let's not focus on the psychedelics. That was almost 20 years ago and I only brought it up due to a similarity in sensation and to the fact that along with religious experience, sickness, and meditation, it is an alteration of consciousness.
Let us also not dismiss such experiences as "la la" simply because the alteration of consciousness is induced by an externally introduced substance or force.
I have also remembered another possible parallel in techniques I would employ to controll myself and environment during lucid dreaming experiments.
My real question remains: do others experience this sense that the state they find themselves in, or the effective techniques of meditation that they use, are strangely familiar? I have even considered that it may be a recollection from a previous life.

Cloud

Postby Cloud » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:33 am

You could be describing a state of meditative absorption, or jhana. Expansive, blissful, floating...

Agmanellium

Postby Agmanellium » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:29 am

Yes, but why is it familiar?

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:39 am

Last edited by Aloka on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:28 am

Sometimes people remember past life meditative experience- its that simple.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:46 am

Agmanellium

Postby Agmanellium » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:14 am

The question remains. Have others in deep meditation felt it was distantly familiar?

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 am

I don't think anyone can answer the "why" but you. I've heard people attribute this sort of thing to supposed past-life experience, who knows, there's probably not a solid answer that you'll be able to grab onto.

Guy

Postby Guy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:17 am

Hi Agmanellium,

"Why does it seem familiar? Is it because of past lives?" could be, who knows...

Perhaps a more important question is "what are the causes for these meditative experiences to occur?"

Also, "are these experiences useful in any way?"

These two questions should help you to identify useful phenomena and to be able to set up the conditions which lead to the arising of such phenomena. Certain mental states such as joy, tranquility, clarity are all useful and you should learn what leads to the arising of these states so that you can re-create them. Various perceptions you may experience (such as the body ballooning out, floating, feeling like stone, etc) are not necessarily useful in themselves, but they may be a sign that your meditation practice is deepening and you are letting go of your body. Don't worry so much what occurs in each particular meditation session, instead focus on the attitude you bring to meditation (is it an attitude of craving or an attitude of letting go?)

I hope this info is useful to you.

Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Hey there.

I've had light - and what I call the 'sense of eternity' Just my way of putting it - but I don't think I've had a sense that it was familiar necessarily. Also, I'm far to attached to self-i-ness - that's a bugger that doesn't quite ever go away I'm afraid -

But when I get these things - I try to look at them - 'what is THAT?' 'what is that?' Is that a "me"? "oo - no - that's not a 'me'! "why does it seem like a me" etc etc and so forth...

The classical response from teachers for these types of phenomena is to look at them - and not get attached to them.

Your description does sound like an aborption state - the next step is to use that concentrated state to deepen your awareness into the way things are.

At least - that's how I've been taught to look at such things. A good meditation teacher or text could be helpful to you.

From Mt. Meru,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:06 pm

When I meditated I found the constant change of sounds, sights, tastes, sensations, smells, thoughts in vipassana to be familiar the firs time I did it.

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”