Loneliness vs. Companionship

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Loneliness vs. Companionship

Postby DapperYogi373 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Each holiday season I come in contact with a number of friends that are battling the "holiday blues." I, myself, is trying to understand how it is possible to find what you need in a companion spiritually without having to sacrifice my spiritual beliefs. I was wondering if anyone can share any insight on how they couteract the "holiday blues" and or find a balance with their companion that may not believe in your spiritual beliefs.
DapperYogi373

Re: Loneliness vs. Companionship

Postby ronnewmexico » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:24 am

JUst me...but I find hosting events as opposed to just attending them helps focus on the giving part of this as opposed to the thinking part of it.
Finding out what to serve how to serve the peoples attending presents....it is all part of giving
and done correctly I surmise it may be a art(Not what I do of course considered that) :smile: It can be quite important to peoples, how they are attended to and made important at these things.

One of my best holidays was spent at retreat house and a walk in the forest I may much prefer but this serves purpose if one can do this.
Many hosts don't put all into it perhaps is my experience..it may be better done, as most are buddhist......... perhaps there is a edge on the doing of making all feel equally important :smile: .

My christmas eve celebration will this year include peoples from three distinctly different cultures, three differing races, varying religious affiliation, varying age groups and a couple of newborn babies tossed into the mix...quite a challenge that.
Just making a dinner can be a most compassionate display if done with skill.

Individually...I would expect the same concept may also apply to a individual...how a thing be done...being critical for perception of compassion.
Who cares what relgiion or belief...only that they feel happy a bit.

Make that individual a special dinner, a special gift, a special thought, even just a special call perhaps....all want to feel special...really it is not the thing but that they know it is special, and it is for them.

..and if none of this goes well..all will be trying to make me, feel better about it, not going well...sometimes the not going well is what may make all feel best of all...they may then help me a bit.... :smile: all like to help others if they may.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Re: Loneliness vs. Companionship

Postby catmoon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:43 am

If you have spiritual needs you are looking in the wrong place to fill them. The people who can do that for you are called teachers, lamas or gurus.

To beat down the winter blues I use a combination of Selexa, weekly therapy, and a special meditation whose object is being in a Pureland filled with light, beautiful scenery, wonderful animals and staggering architecture, not to mention uncounted Buddhas. The meditation just sort of spontaneously developed from Medicine Buddha practice.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Return to Exploring Buddhism