Killing Insects and Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
ananda

Killing Insects and Buddhism

Post by ananda »

Since insects are ignorant of morality and we humans are the higher form of life then shouldn't we practice ahimsa towards even household flies and pests despite the problems they create for us ?
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Tilopa

Re: Killing Insects and Buddhism

Post by Tilopa »

ananda wrote:Since insects are ignorant of morality and we humans are the higher form of life then shouldn't we practice ahimsa towards even household flies and pests despite the problems they create for us ?
Yes of course. Buddhists are supposed to avoid killing or harming any living being.
ananda

Post by ananda »

Agreed
I'm wondering if there are any that are Buddhist that would present a view consenting to the injury of insects and how such a view would be justified
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ananda wrote:Since insects are ignorant of morality and we humans are the higher form of life then shouldn't we practice ahimsa towards even household flies and pests despite the problems they create for us ?
Up until the point that they become a problem like spreading disease, ruining our food and so on. That being said, I have not knowingly killed a single creature on purpose since I became a Buddhist 25 years ago.

However, if my house were infested with carpenter ants, for example, and so on, I would exterminate them, even though I would feel bad about it.

N
edearl

Post by edearl »

Namdrol wrote:
Up until the point that they become a problem like spreading disease, ruining our food and so on. That being said, I have not knowingly killed a single creature on purpose since I became a Buddhist 25 years ago.

However, if my house were infested with carpenter ants, for example, and so on, I would exterminate them, even though I would feel bad about it.

N
Seems the middle way to me. If one does not rid their house of carpenter ants, one must eventually repair the house or move into another. To rebuild or move often means using more wood, which means loggers will kill more trees that support insect and animal life, some of which are often killed in the process. But, maybe I am wrong.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
swampflower

Post by swampflower »

I sometimes let mosquitoes take my blood however I draw the line with ticks :yinyang:
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

If they create problems then I have no problem wiping them out. The other day I had mice in my house who were leaving crap everywhere and chewing into packaged foods so I got these glue traps which caught 3 of them in one night. They will die a slow death but it had to be done.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

What are the karmic results of deliberately killing insects?

Chris
edearl

Post by edearl »

Ryoto wrote:
If they create problems then I have no problem wiping them out. The other day I had mice in my house who were leaving crap everywhere and chewing into packaged foods so I got these glue traps which caught 3 of them in one night. They will die a slow death but it had to be done.
Umm. Is there bad karma from keeping a cat?
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
edearl

Post by edearl »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

Chris
Is there bad karma from having humming bird feeders or bat roosts?
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

edearl wrote:
Ryoto wrote:
Umm. Is there bad karma from keeping a cat?
Nope. Quite the opposite, by keeping a cat one is benefitting another sentient being enormously,especially when you scritch that sweet spot just behind the ears. One also has a convenient object for compassion practice, and sometimes patience practice too, cuz they will sharpen their claws on things. Usually valuable things. So there is an opportunity to work on attachments as well.

A cat is the perfect teacher, and a companion on the path too.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

Wouldn't the intention of killing anything have a lot to with the karmic effect of killing it? It's not the action of killing as it is the "action" lying behind or underneath the killing.

Pests that destroy one's home or food supply must be dispensed with, though it doesn't mean one should relish the killing. I think there's a big difference between slapping gnats because of the annoyance and exterminating cockroaches because of the possibility of disease.

I would also caution the person above who allows mosquitoes to draw their blood since mosquitoes can carry disease no less than ticks.
Cantankerous Buddha
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Chris
Illness?
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Kai

Post by Kai »

Just like the normal karmic effect coming from unwholesome action of killing combined with having ill will or aversion;

Illness, disability and short life in the next rebirth, born in war zone area, unattractive, lots of enemies, etc........
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

The more you kill them, the more they will reproduce. Your best bet is to recite them a mantra and dedicate merits to them and wish them to leave. No, they cannot speak. But does not mean they cannot experience.
It’s eye blinking.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

edearl wrote:

Chris
Depends on your intention. If you're only intention to get the cat is for the mice to get killed then it could be bad karma.
edearl

Post by edearl »

Ryoto wrote:
edearl wrote:

Chris
Depends on your intention. If you're only intention to get the cat is for the mice to get killed then it could be bad karma.
I love living things, and most of my life have kept at least one cat and/or dog.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

In that case, you shouldn't worry about it then. :smile:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Kai wrote:

Just like the normal karmic effect coming from unwholesome action of killing combined with having ill will or aversion;

Illness, disability and short life in the next rebirth, born in war zone area, unattractive, lots of enemies, etc........
Thanks Kai. Though I'm not sure many people in this thread accept or believe the Teachings on this matter - as they write about intentionally killing other beings frequently.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Ryoto wrote: The other day I had mice in my house who were leaving crap everywhere and chewing into packaged foods so I got these glue traps which caught 3 of them in one night. They will die a slow death but it had to be done.
It didn't have to be done like that. There are other ways of catching mice that don't involve killing:

http://members.aceweb.com/patrussell/mo ... setrap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”