paramhansa yogananda

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
theanarchist

Re: paramhansa yogananda

Post by theanarchist »

smcj wrote: I suggest that you find an authentic teacher, of any lineage, and have that conversation face to face. You'll probably find a Nyingmapa to be the most accommodating of your wishes and perspective, and a Gelugpa the least accommodating.

Yeah. And that Nyingmapa will probably send you into retreat for 10 years before even starting to consider you are ready for consort practice.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

My point was, and my continuing point, is gelug nonsense on this topic.

Im pretty sure every lay person of tibetan ethnicity who has these empowerments is practicing karmamudra.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

theanarchist wrote:
smcj wrote: I suggest that you find an authentic teacher, of any lineage, and have that conversation face to face. You'll probably find a Nyingmapa to be the most accommodating of your wishes and perspective, and a Gelugpa the least accommodating.

Yeah. And that Nyingmapa will probably send you into retreat for 10 years before even starting to consider you are ready for consort practice.
what rubbish
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I will take notice and withdraw considering your aversion to Gelug views :anjali:
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

ConradTree wrote:My point was, and my continuing point, is gelug nonsense on this topic.

Im pretty sure every lay person of tibetan ethnicity who has these empowerments is practicing karmamudra.

:rolling:

Probably not all that many people of Tibetan ethnicity have the empowerment to do so.

By the way, if you get the transmission to do the inner practices of a sadhana, which are NOT given randomly like the "normal" empoweremnts by the way, do you get them all at once or does the teacher only give them in portions according to what you have to practice next?
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

ConradTree wrote:My point was, and my continuing point, is gelug nonsense on this topic..

Not Gelug nonsense. I'm as Nyingma as it can get and I agree with what was said.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ConradTree wrote:My point was, and my continuing point, is gelug nonsense on this topic.
Which lineage do you practice in exactly?
Even if they were, given your attitude, it is highly unlikely that they would want to discuss or teach it to you.

Reign in your aggression and judgmental attitude and you may find people more accommodating and helpful.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

JKhedrup wrote:I will take notice and withdraw considering your aversion to Gelug views :anjali:

Erm, please stay. You can probably answer on the basis of scriptures what happens and why exactly if consort practice goes wrong.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

theanarchist wrote:
And why do you think that is? No reason at all? Have you asked one why?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

smcj wrote:
theanarchist wrote:
And why do you think that is? No reason at all? Have you asked one why?

I asked a long term western retreatant who has done inner practices (apparently tummo and stuff) what can go wrong. He said you risk your mental health if you do those practices without being qualified because your energy system is going to be messed up, which is decidedly unhealthy for the mind.

I only know one Tibetan who I suspect might be dong consort practice with his wife (he is a high lama) and I would rather NOT ask about it because stupid (inappropriate) questions only get stupid answers with him.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Malcolm wrote: In general, the Sakyapa POV is that monks use a jñānamudra....

Yes exactly.

Monks use jnanamudra or tummo (what you called Vajrayogini)
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”