A little guidance please? Not sure where this goes!

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

A little guidance please? Not sure where this goes!

Postby newperspective » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I realise what I'm about to say will sound a little 'wishy washy', but please no harsh judgements etc!

I feel like I've hit a roadblock in my life. I can't explain it, but it feels like I'm not sure 'where to go', pessimistic, and if there are some things nagging at me that I can't quite identify to answer, but things only I can find the answer to. I've felt like this for a while.

I was planning to write down a few thoughts, then sit in the garden all night and meditate. I just want some form of guidance (internal guidance, if that makes sense?) and to figure a few things out. I'm scared that this won't happen, but I'm scared that it will. I understand that any sort of path like this requires long term commitment and effort, but I'm just looking for the direction to head in.

Eh, I know I'm probably being incredibly stupid. But any ideas, advice, etc...?

Edit: Like, I remember when I came incredibly close to death. Myself, the doctors, thought I was to die that night. It was almost as if I came out of the experience 'reborn'.
newperspective

Re: A little guidance please? Not sure where this goes!

Postby LastLegend » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:45 pm

newperspective wrote:I realise what I'm about to say will sound a little 'wishy washy', but please no harsh judgements etc!

I feel like I've hit a roadblock in my life. I can't explain it, but it feels like I'm not sure 'where to go', pessimistic, and if there are some things nagging at me that I can't quite identify to answer, but things only I can find the answer to. I've felt like this for a while.

I was planning to write down a few thoughts, then sit in the garden all night and meditate. I just want some form of guidance (internal guidance, if that makes sense?) and to figure a few things out. I'm scared that this won't happen, but I'm scared that it will. I understand that any sort of path like this requires long term commitment and effort, but I'm just looking for the direction to head in.

Eh, I know I'm probably being incredibly stupid. But any ideas, advice, etc...?

Edit: Like, I remember when I came incredibly close to death. Myself, the doctors, thought I was to die that night. It was almost as if I came out of the experience 'reborn'.

No fancy stuff. This is all you need.

1) Recognize what makes you suffer. This requires that you constantly observe what you think (mental reactions) to things you see, hear, touch, smell, and taste. Also observe every action, everything you do. Do these things you do bring you suffering?

The way I think and what I do is what makes me suffer. So the point of all this is to change our false view, thinking, ways of looking at things. These fall along the line of right view.

2) Never look at the external source for blame. This means do not thrive or see faults in others. Find your own faults (way of thinking and doing things) and change.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby kirtu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:07 pm

newperspective wrote:I feel like I've hit a roadblock in my life. I can't explain it, but it feels like I'm not sure 'where to go', pessimistic, and if there are some things nagging at me that I can't quite identify to answer, but things only I can find the answer to. I've felt like this for a while.

You've come through an life changing experience. Where do you want to go from here?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Dechen Norbu » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 am

There's nothing stupid about what you said.
kirtu makes a very pertinent question. What do you want to do? :smile:
Dechen Norbu

Return to Exploring Buddhism