What Buddhist Books Did You Order, or are Reading?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: What Buddhist Books Did You Order, or are Reading?

Postby ccensullo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Hello, I am reading:
Awakening of the Heart: Essential Buddhist Sutras and Commentaries. Thich Nhat Hanh. (c) 2012 Parallax Press.
http://www.parallax.org/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=BOOKAOTH

Moon in a Dew Drop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen. Kazuaki Tanahashi, editor.
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Dewdrop-Writ ... 097&sr=8-1
"...you should know that all of the teachings I give to you are like a raft. All teachings must be abandoned, not to mention non-teachings."
(The Diamond Sutra. Thich Nhat Hanh translation (c) 2012)
http://books.google.com/books?id=Zv1gL6csLIUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
ccensullo

Postby Skydancer » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 am

Currently reading...
Wild Awakening: The Heart of Mahamudra and Dzogchen by Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche
Mahamudra and Dzogchen are perhaps the most profound teachings within all of Tibetan Buddhism. The experience of Mahamudra, or ?great symbol,? is an overwhelming sense of extraordinary clarity, totally open and nondualistic. Dzogchen, or ?great perfection,? is the ultimate teaching according to the Nyingma tradition and also represents the pinnacle of spiritual development. These are the two paths that provide practitioners with the most skillful means to experience the fully awakened state and directly taste the reality of our mind and environment. And yet these concepts are notoriously difficult to grasp and challenging to explain. In Wild Awakening, Tibetan Buddhist master Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche presents these esoteric teachings in a style that reveals their surprising simplicity and great practical value, emphasizing that we can all experience our world more directly, with responsibility, freedom, and confidence. With a straightforward approach and informal style, he presents these essential teachings in a way that even those very new to Tibetan Buddhism can understand.
Skydancer

Postby Will » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Rulu's latest book of sutra translations; $20 for the paper book, $4 for a digital one; titled Bodhisattva Precepts:

http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Advanc ... hTerm=Rulu
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby Tenpa Gyaltsen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 pm

I bought a couple of Tony Duff's books this month. First I read Longchen Nyingthig Preliminaries "The Excellent Path to Omniscience". Now I am reading The Theory and Practice of Other Emptiness Taught Through Milarepa's Songs.

I am very happy with the contents of these books, including Tony's own introductions and commentaries. However, the English does contain a relatively large number of errors (spelling, words missing). I had not expected this from someone who takes such pride in the supposed quality of his work over other's. I remember reading about PKTC's efforts to publish error free versions of the Tibetan texts themselves. A shame then there is such sloppiness to the English.

Does the Illuminator Dictionary also contain lots of errors?
Tenpa Gyaltsen

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:28 pm

The Divine Madman: The Sublime Life and Songs of Drukpa Kunley

Drukpa Kunleys massive flaming vajra rocks!!! What a guy. I love what he did to Tsongkhapa. Killed myself laughing! :twothumbsup:

Due to an extraordinarily limited budget (I am living in Greece after all) I am currently "limited" to stealing books (downloading copies). My next slated read is Perfect Conduct: Ascertaining the Three Vows by Dudjom Rinpoche, if i ever find a free electronic version of it.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Will » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:45 pm

The Six Perfections, by Skorupski; an abridged English version of Lamotte's French translation of Nagarjuna's long commentary on the Mahaprajnaparamita Sutra. This was published in 2002 and is about 140 pages, compared to the nearly 500 of Lamotte's original.
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby Jikan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm making a study of Thich Nhat Hanh's popular work. Last night I finished Interbeing; now, it's The Miracle of Mindfulness, to be followed by Being Peace, Zen Keys, and The Sun My Heart (with more to follow presumably).

After that, I move on to the IMS circle: kornfield, Salzberg, Goldstein, and Kabat-Zinn.

Our sangha is reading The Awakening of Faith. Up next? The sutra of Complete Enlightenment.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby maybay » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:30 pm

The Character of Kingship by Declan Quigley

Since Shakyamuni Buddha Buddhism has been under patronage of royalty. Now no more kings. We have enough scapegoats. No more kings so no more castes. Just like when the husband runs away then there's no family. Deary dear. No castes or families then no outside castes or families, so no perspective. Everyone is a monk, alone in the big blue ocean of friends. All for one and one vs all. No one is a monk, or a king, of anything. Who wants to be president in Japan? Sense of pride - unlikely. Governance best done with software. Anyone actually know how to use this junk?!? A thousand pure lands in your delete key. Tap tap tap.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Postby Wesley1982 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:11 pm

'The Awakened One' A life of Buddha by Sherab Chodzin Kohn.
Wesley1982

Postby Wesley1982 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:58 am

The next book I plan to read is - 'A beginner's introduction to Zen' or 'Zen Mind ~ A Beginner's Mind' . .
Wesley1982

Postby Will » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Bodhisattva Attitude - an expanded version of an earlier booklet of talks by Lama Zopa on bodhicitta motive & practice.
Will

Postby Infinite » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Currently reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind and just barely finished What the Buddha Taught.
Infinite

Postby LightSeed » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:27 pm

"A New Course In Reading Pali" just arrived so I'm going to slowly work my way through that while going back over the stuff I don't understand from my various other books. :reading:
"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

— AN 5.198
LightSeed

Postby Shemmy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 am

As I am a Dudjom newbie, I am reading everything I can get my hands on along those lines. I have always tended to read 5-6 books at once non-sequentially but which are related, so the constellation of books I'm gazing at lately are some books by H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche:

Perfect Conduct: Ascertaining the Three Vows
A Torch Lighting the Way to Freedom
The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism Its Fundamentals and History

By others:
A Cascading Waterfall of Nectar by Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Generating the Deity by Gyatrul Rinpoche
Pure Appearance by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Blazing Splendor by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Also, Thomas Cleary's translation of the Avatamsaka Sutra, The Flower Ornament Scripture.
Very helpful for helping one imagine the requisite vast expanses of qualities of Buddah mind.

All are really helpful and essential I suppose, if you are just starting on the Vajrayana path in general and the Dudjom lineage in particular.

Cheers!
Shemmy

Postby Lunaria » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Infinite wrote:Currently reading Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind and just barely finished What the Buddha Taught.

I am currently reading what the Buddha taught. I have just finished The noble eightfold path by Bhikkhu Bodhi and
A glimpse into the supreme science of the Buddha by Egerton c Baptist
Buddhism without beliefs by Stephen Batchelor is next on the pile.
Lunaria

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:38 pm

I wouldn't recommend Batchleors book until after you have a firm grasp of basic Buddhist tenets. Like, maybe, take a walk over to http://accesstoinsight.org/ and get a few Sutta under your belt (especially the teachings to do with kamma and rebirth) and then tackle Batchelors book.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Josef » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Lunaria wrote:Buddhism without beliefs by Stephen Batchelor is next on the pile.

Easily one of the worst books ever written on the subject of Buddhism.
Actually, its nowhere near being Buddhism.
Josef

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 pm

Tony Duff's Flight of the Garuda.

Wow.

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Postby mindyourmind » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Paul wrote:Tony Duff's Flight of the Garuda.

Wow.

Better than Dowman's?
As bad as bad becomes its not a part of you

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

Postby mindyourmind » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Nangwa wrote:
Lunaria wrote:Buddhism without beliefs by Stephen Batchelor is next on the pile.

Easily one of the worst books ever written on the subject of Buddhism.
Actually, its nowhere near being Buddhism.

Aka "Building Your Own Religion, with Crayons and Cardboard, for Fun and Profit"
As bad as bad becomes its not a part of you

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

PreviousNext

Return to Exploring Buddhism