YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Breath Focusing and Staying Present - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Breath Focusing and Staying Present

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jcsuperstar

Re: Breath Focusing and Staying Present

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:08 pm

I'd also like to get those talks.

also Terasi , there are many ways to watch the breath, and many places to focus your attention on it. rising and falling of the abdomen, the chest, the back, at the nose , mouth, etc. and you don't have to focus super intently either, you can use the breath as an anchor and be aware of the whole body as you breath in and out. you can move attention to different spots on the body with the breath, you can feel breath energies in the body, you can breath in through your pores... there are many many ways to practice anapanasati!!!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Collective

Postby Collective » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 am

Ok so they way I see it is; 'focus' on the breath to begin with, stay with it, slowly and gently become 'aware' of your surroundings, and not 'focused' on any one thing. Whatever arises.

If you slip, go back to focusing on the breath.

Rinse repeat as necessary :D

Terasi

Postby Terasi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Those are wonderful info, thanks guys.

I feel where the problem is, because I try too hard to just think about one fixed point in my nose, and that's not being gentle to myself. No wonder the mind rebels.
So we are allowed to feel the breath flowing anywhere in my body, and even to become 'aware' of the surroundings, and not 'focused' on any one thing.
That means when I can feel being at present, and can hear soft noises outside, but without any reaction in my mind (just hearing, not listening, no perception, no feeling), then I should still be on the right track.

But if we can have the link to that talk, it will be good. :clap:

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:48 am

what method/teacher are you following now?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Collective

Postby Collective » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:02 pm

फ़िलिप् पुअषुंद

Postby फ़िलिप् पुअषुंद » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Maybe I'm the only one who has had this experience, but it took me about 3 or 4 weeks of daily meditation, counting breaths, to actually enter "the present moment" while counting breaths. Now that I have experienced the difference, it seems that what I was doing originally was holding on to the present moment for a very short time, then holding onto the next present moment for a very short time, and nothing much was happening for those few weeks. Then one morning, after about 15 minutes of meditation, I suddenly entered the "real" present moment and realized the only way to be in the present moment is when my awareness flows with time, completely smoothly. No longer do I chase that elusive "present moment" which becomes the past sooner than I can try to grasp it. The present moment is not an infinitesimally short static experience; It is an infinitely smoothly flowing experience of arbitrary duration.

Another way to describe it: Imagine time as a conveyor belt. What I was doing for the first few weeks was trying to walk beside the running belt and match my walking speed as best I could to the speed of the belt. I was walking very calmly and smoothly, touching my hand to the belt and holding it for minutes at a time. It was a decent experience, and I was glad that my effort of keeping up with the moving belt was successful. The day it all changed, however, it felt like I had stepped onto the belt rather than walking next to it. I was still moving at the exact same speed as the belt; It was just much easier, practically effortless, smoother, more natural, more enjoyable.

The human breath is so delicate and beautiful; For a few days now I have experienced great pleasure feeling that incredibly smooth, quiet flow not just in my breath, but many of my movements. I can't always get to this state ("hop onto the belt"); some days it doesn't happen at all, but on average it seems to be getting more frequent and easier, and it gives me so much joy I almost feel mentally insane for deriving so much enjoyment from nothing more than "the quiet and smooth nature of the flow of time and of my own breath." It's like I'm discovering the world in a whole new light.

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:04 am

Hello फ़िलिप् पुअषुंद ,

What does your user name mean in English? How shall we address you?

Perhaps you may find this of interest:
THE BEAUTIFUL BREATH: THE BEGINNING OF THE JOURNEY INTO JHANAS
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... Jhanas.htm

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:27 am

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:17 am

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:45 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:44 pm

I think it is REALLY important to be aware of what you are trying to achieve when focusing on the breath- mind you not CRAVING for that achievement but really knowing which mental faculty you are trying to develop. Because without this you will find that your efforts are sometimes wasted. If you want calm (samadhi) then you must watch the breath in a certain way- if you want insight/vipassana then you must watch the breath in another way.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:07 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:56 am