Practicing, awareness and metta

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Does practicing Buddhism make it easier for you to handle hostility?

Yes, greatly.
50%
Yes, quite a lot.
50%
Yes, a little.
No votes
No, it is still difficult.
No votes
Other (please explain).
No votes

Total votes : 6

Practicing, awareness and metta

Postby Marmalade » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Do you find, as a Buddhist, that your cultivation of Right Understanding, Right Intention, and your practice of meditation makes it easy for you to practice metta, or kindness, towards people who would annoy you?

In response to my previous question about practicing / non-practicing Buddhists over at Dhamma Wheel, I got a reply which said:

"Non-violence and self control is what buddhists train too. When there's no aversion, no dislike or "self". You won't intend to hurt someone else since you think you and others is a "whole"."

So, do you find that practicing Buddhism makes it much easier to respond with tolerance and kindness to situations which would arouse anger and hostility in most people?
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
Marmalade

Return to Exploring Buddhism