Are we on the right track in learning Buddha

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
rose
Site Admin

Re: Are we on the right track in learning Buddha

Post by rose »

mr. gordo wrote:
Actually I was kidding. :smile:

I really don't think he's trolling us. I just think he doesn't want to discuss Buddhism, but CSEeism.
Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no but the name of this particular forum is "Dharma Wheel - A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism" :buddha1:

:popcorn: :reading: :coffee:
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I have a solution:

CSEe, I think you should contact member Enjitsu, who is the Westerner Representative of Buddhism, who must surely be the right person to help you. ;)
Left
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Yeshe wrote:I have a solution:

CSEe, I think you should contact member Enjitsu, who is the Westerner Representative of Buddhism, who must surely be the right person to help you. ;)
CSEe, if you decide to contact Enjitsu (the world famous Westerner Representative of Buddhism), make sure you're on the Buddhist Calendar. If not, he may miss your correspondence by a month. ;)
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
tktru

Post by tktru »

mr. gordo wrote:CSEe has been trolling us here the whole time. The amount of patience I've seen from members here is impressive.
I wouldn't exactly call it trolling. CSEe is providing us lots of exercise in Dharmic debate. Even if it leads nowhere for our OP....so in a way, I thank him for at least providing us the paramita of giving and we return him the favor with the paramita of patience. Though confusing as the OP's situation and questions may be, he will benefit in some way.

As for CSEe, I would like to ask you a question: You are from Malaysia, so I assume that one: you're very familiar with Mahayana Buddhism, particularly the Chinese/East Asian tradition. And two: you may also be aware that in Malaysia, the Buddhist teaching can sometimes be lost amongst the sea of regional religious practices (hence Chinese folk religion).

So, on a personal level Mr. CSEe, if you are here to gain awareness, why do you have this uncertainty of the teachings and would rather have this huge debate with us if you have not come prepared with experience in how the Buddha's words have helped you? Have you tried putting the practice into your life and why do you still suffer? Do you feel that Buddhism has become overly controlling to you?

I think the best thing for you, CSEe, is simply just to put down your doubts and worries about what the Buddha attained and focus on yourself. Practice the Noble Eightfold Path, adhere to precepts to your best ability, cultivate concentration and gain wisdom from your experiences so that you may better serve others.
Last edited by tktru on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

tktru wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:CSEe has been trolling us here the whole time. The amount of patience I've seen from members here is impressive.
I wouldn't exactly call it trolling.
I would. I think he's playing games with us.
tktru

Post by tktru »

Tilopa wrote:
tktru wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call it trolling.
I would. I think he's playing games with us.
I admit, I am a tad bit late to this debate we're having here. But I won't jump to that assumption that he is trying to make a fool out of all of us. If he doesn't listen, then so be it, but let's not single him out. Within the veils of samsara he's under, he is suffering and wants help. Even if it means being a little on the nutty side.
:focus:
Last edited by tktru on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear friends,

CSEe is kicked our every where. Now he was send to the Mahayana. Wouldn't it be shameful if that would be the last idea of the great discusser on Bodhisattva vows?
What do you have to lose as another concept of good and bad?
Or better what is your main task?

He teaches a lot, we should take this as a gift and not a chance to let aversion flourish.

Please think of it.

_/\_
Just that! :-)
plwk

Post by plwk »

The requested user does not exist.
Let me guess... he was shown the door?
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

And what did he teach us?

He used to call everybody sir, and was always polite.
He never used harsh words.
He never made him self bigger than others.
When he quoted, he told always that it is his own believe.
He used to express only his own experiences.
He did not express knowledge as understanding.
He answered every quote as it would be given to him.
He toke the gifts with honor even he did not know how to use them.
He showed us, that our knowledge is useless.
He showed us our impatient.
He showed us our incapacity to teach.
He showed us our quick tendency to aversion.
He showed us how far we are from the insight of Buddha Dharma.

May we are able to take his gifts and learn so that it will be wholesome for everyone of us.

Are we on the right track in learning Buddha?

_/\_
justsit

Post by justsit »

Ah, a Bengali tea boy! :bow:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

The member is just on a break :)

Best,
Laura
plwk

Post by plwk »

The member is just on a break :)
Ah, a Bengali tea boy! :bow:
Are we on the right track in learning Buddha?
ground

Post by ground »

Sad to see how that which could be "right energy" is uselessly wasted through clinging to wrong views.

Kind regards
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

TMingyur wrote:Sad to see how that which could be "right energy" is uselessly wasted through clinging to wrong views.

Kind regards
Don't sweat it. According to adherents.com (not sure their method for compiling this info) there are only about 329 million Buddhists worldwide. This is in contrast to almost 2 billion Christians, followed by well over a billion Muslims, almost a billion Hindus, etc. The numbers of non-theists certainly are outnumbered by the theists. And we're not even counting all the other multifarious views, such as forms of nihilism like scientific materialism or atheism, shamanism, New Ageism, etc. Buddhists are by far outnumbered. And then naturally there will be many so-called Buddhist who have bad or confused teachers, or who are simply mixing up teachings, and are suffering from wrong views.

SO, if we are truly to embrace the Bodhisattva spirit, and keep our vows purely if we've taken them- and practice our paramitas-- then we must not get discouraged by the vast sea of sentient beings suffering and transmigrating, or get discouraged by their confused "wrong" views which may contradict Dharma teachings we've been fortunate enough to receive. It is our duty to be endlessly patient, and find skillful ways to encourage them (sometimes only subtly) to correct views. This is not a proselytizing tradition really, however if someone steps into a Buddhadharma forum, even if it seems like it is to promote their own non-dharmic views- perhaps it is our karma to embrace them as a special friend and be patient with their inconsistencies. Or maybe it is good to be firm sometimes too. But always we should be careful we are keeping our vows, and keeping our compassion! If we get discouraged by just one sentient being, how can we begin to think of liberating all?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Nice ! :namaste:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Awwww...man!!! I know I haven't participated, but what happened to CSEe? I was taking it all in, just got my popcorn :popcorn: , and poof he's gone.
Another lesson in impermanence I suppose.
Shaun :namaste:
ground

Post by ground »

Adamantine wrote:
TMingyur wrote:Sad to see how that which could be "right energy" is uselessly wasted through clinging to wrong views.

Kind regards
Don't sweat it. According to adherents.com (not sure their method for compiling this info) there are only about 329 million Buddhists worldwide. This is in contrast to almost 2 billion Christians, followed by well over a billion Muslims, almost a billion Hindus, etc. The numbers of non-theists certainly are outnumbered by the theists. And we're not even counting all the other multifarious views, such as forms of nihilism like scientific materialism or atheism, shamanism, New Ageism, etc. Buddhists are by far outnumbered. And then naturally there will be many so-called Buddhist who have bad or confused teachers, or who are simply mixing up teachings, and are suffering from wrong views.
In the context of ethics (only) there is at least the possibility that all these are still "on the right track". "Ethics" here meaning to "counter bad destinations". So it is a restricted form of ethics.

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

TMingyur wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

Kind regards
In the context of ethics (only) there is at least the possibility that all these are still "on the right track". "Ethics" here meaning to "counter bad destinations". So it is a restricted form of ethics.

Kind regards
:thumbsup: but not only in the context of ethics: what about one step further :quoteunquote: "does one know the right view still unenlightened" and "if enlightened, would he measure others in a way of right and wrong" :quoteunquote:
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:"does one know the right view still unenlightened" and "if enlightened, would he measure others in a way of right and wrong" :quoteunquote:
Yes one knows if one has take refuge to the Buddha and then one knows what is right view and what is wrong view.
You tend to transform the subject into "others" when the subject that is measured actually is "view". Why is this personalization?

Kind regards

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”