Jesus, a Buddhist?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 am

There is very little evidence of Jesus, let alone what he actually taught.
This Jesus was a Buddhist nonsense is just Buddhists competing with other traditions.
It is a great example of participating in the eight worldly concerns.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby randomseb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:20 am

Mr. G wrote:Is this one sentence supposed to describe dependent origination? Because it is not a description of dependent origination.


Maybe you should contemplate that sentence for a while then, instead of just gut reactions based on a predetermined position ;)

Mr. G wrote:Any other attempts to put a square block through a round hole? :coffee:


:zzz:

Nangwa wrote:There is very little evidence of Jesus, let alone what he actually taught.
This Jesus was a Buddhist nonsense is just Buddhists competing with other traditions.


There's some evidence for a historical jesus guy. Not so much the more.. mythical sounding parts of his story, though

Nangwa wrote:It is a great example of participating in the eight worldly concerns.


Posting on forums is participating in those concerns :jumping:
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
User avatar
randomseb
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:12 am

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:28 am

Seb wrote:
Nangwa wrote:It is a great example of participating in the eight worldly concerns.


Posting on forums is participating in those concerns :jumping:

It certainly can be but your generalization goes too far.
There are a lot of discussions on this forum that are actually well-intended and an important part of sangha collaboration.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Mr. G » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 am

Seb wrote:
Mr. G wrote:Is this one sentence supposed to describe dependent origination? Because it is not a description of dependent origination.


Maybe you should contemplate that sentence for a while then, instead of just gut reactions based on a predetermined position ;)


I have. The issue is that pseudo new-age gnostic types don't take the time to understand Buddhism at all which is why they come up with these strange theories.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 am

Mr. G wrote:
I have. The issue is that pseudo new-age gnostic types don't take the time to understand Buddhism at all which is why they come up with these strange theories.

Agreed.
It's a completely useless and egotistical pursuit as well.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Will » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:58 am

Did not see if Lindtner's (trans. Nagarjunia) discovery was mentioned, but some of the Jesus = Buddhist notions probably came from him:

http://www.jesusisbuddha.com/index.html
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 1921
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:16 am

No offense, but you guys seem to be so caught up in the dogma that you fail to see the bridges that connect through the divisions. That is where the true beauty of spirituality lies, within the oneness of all form manifested from energy.

The dogma is another attachment to another explanation, non of which are only true.
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Mr. G » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:21 am

teknix wrote:No offense, but you guys seem to be so caught up in the dogma that you fail to see the bridges that connect through the divisions. That is where the true beauty of spirituality lies, within the oneness of all form manifested from energy.

The dogma is another attachment to another explanation, non of which are only true.


It's not dogma, it's seeing the differences between religions. Similarities are one thing, but lumping every religion together as if they are the same is misguided.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:22 am

teknix wrote:No offense, but you guys seem to be so caught up in the dogma that you fail to see the bridges that connect through the divisions. That is where the true beauty of spirituality lies, within the oneness of all form manifested from energy.

The dogma is another attachment to another explanation, non of which are only true.

It's not a matter of dogma.
In my opinion the assertion that Jesus was a Buddhist can not be supported by evidence and it's highly insulting to Christians.
I think as dharma practitioners we have far better things to do with our time than insult our Christian brothers and sisters with vapid speculation about their savior.
Josef
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:22 am

Mr. G wrote:
teknix wrote:No offense, but you guys seem to be so caught up in the dogma that you fail to see the bridges that connect through the divisions. That is where the true beauty of spirituality lies, within the oneness of all form manifested from energy.

The dogma is another attachment to another explanation, non of which are only true.


It's not dogma, it's seeing the differences between religions. Similarities are one thing, but lumping every religion together as if they are the same is misguided.


Exactly, you don't need the dogma of any of them, only the truth from them.

Dogma is a belief until it comes to pass, which it has not come to pass as of yet, that it is actually "known" rather than being believed. Has anyone truly achieved omniscience within these pea brains divided?
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:28 am

Mr. G wrote:
teknix wrote:No offense, but you guys seem to be so caught up in the dogma that you fail to see the bridges that connect through the divisions. That is where the true beauty of spirituality lies, within the oneness of all form manifested from energy.

The dogma is another attachment to another explanation, non of which are only true.


It's not dogma, it's seeing the differences between religions. Similarities are one thing, but lumping every religion together as if they are the same is misguided.


So instead you focus on the differences which are irrelevant to actuality of our totality? Nope, that is not what brings us together, yet it reinforces the walls making them more insurmountable then before.
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:37 am

In biology we only focus on around 5% of the genetic code as determinable variables, the rest is simply considered junk. I would wager the same is true within the dogmas of the world, probably around 5% of the info is actually determinable. This info should be apparent because it will coincide within the bases and roots of other texts and probably often in reference to the energy body.
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:43 am

5% of each dogma coming from the one source should line up throughout each dogma. These are like the "Base Pairs" that will bring the DNA of humanity together in oneness. A global awareness consisting of a mutual love for one another. The common ground we can start from are within the similarities, not the differences.
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Jikan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 pm

teknix wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
teknix wrote:No offense, but you guys seem to be so caught up in the dogma that you fail to see the bridges that connect through the divisions. That is where the true beauty of spirituality lies, within the oneness of all form manifested from energy.

The dogma is another attachment to another explanation, non of which are only true.


It's not dogma, it's seeing the differences between religions. Similarities are one thing, but lumping every religion together as if they are the same is misguided.


So instead you focus on the differences which are irrelevant to actuality of our totality? Nope, that is not what brings us together, yet it reinforces the walls making them more insurmountable then before.


Why do you assume the differences are irrelevant, or are in fact obstacles to bringing people together?
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5154
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Jikan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Nangwa wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
I have. The issue is that pseudo new-age gnostic types don't take the time to understand Buddhism at all which is why they come up with these strange theories.

Agreed.
It's a completely useless and egotistical pursuit as well.


Aloha, Amigo!

http://dctendai.blogspot.com/2010/07/al ... hical.html

Here's a detailed take-down of one of the more infamous of these...

http://integralworld.net/meyerhoff-ba-toc.html
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5154
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:37 pm

You call yourself a buddhist, which is a way to distinguish yourself from others. No one is a Buddhist in actuality. No one is a Christian in actuality. We are all just people. Trivial differences is why wars are waged, it stemmed the Spanish Inquisition and Christian Crusades to name a few. You are free to call yourself whatever you want, hold whatever beliefs you want dear to your heart, but it still doesn't make you any different, because others do the same, just with different beliefs.
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Mr. G » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 pm

teknix wrote:You call yourself a buddhist, which is a way to distinguish yourself from others. No one is a Buddhist in actuality. No one is a Christian in actuality. We are all just people. Trivial differences is why wars are waged, it stemmed the Spanish Inquisition and Christian Crusades to name a few. You are free to call yourself whatever you want, hold whatever beliefs you want dear to your heart, but it still doesn't make you any different, because others do the same, just with different beliefs.


teknix, we understand what you're saying in the broader sense. However if you think there is no difference betwen Buddhist or Christian tenets on a relative level, you neither understand Buddhism or Christianity at even the most superficial level.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Mr. G wrote:
teknix wrote:You call yourself a buddhist, which is a way to distinguish yourself from others. No one is a Buddhist in actuality. No one is a Christian in actuality. We are all just people. Trivial differences is why wars are waged, it stemmed the Spanish Inquisition and Christian Crusades to name a few. You are free to call yourself whatever you want, hold whatever beliefs you want dear to your heart, but it still doesn't make you any different, because others do the same, just with different beliefs.


teknix, we understand what you're saying in the broader sense. However if you think there is no difference betwen Buddhist or Christian tenets on a relative level, you neither understand Buddhism or Christianity at even the most superficial level.



Maybe because the purpose is not to understand trivial differences and beliefs, but to understand the similarities. I'm not concerned with the fairy tales of hocus-pocus from any side.
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Mr. G » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:23 pm

teknix wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
teknix wrote:You call yourself a buddhist, which is a way to distinguish yourself from others. No one is a Buddhist in actuality. No one is a Christian in actuality. We are all just people. Trivial differences is why wars are waged, it stemmed the Spanish Inquisition and Christian Crusades to name a few. You are free to call yourself whatever you want, hold whatever beliefs you want dear to your heart, but it still doesn't make you any different, because others do the same, just with different beliefs.


teknix, we understand what you're saying in the broader sense. However if you think there is no difference betwen Buddhist or Christian tenets on a relative level, you neither understand Buddhism or Christianity at even the most superficial level.



Maybe because the purpose is not to understand trivial differences and beliefs, but to understand the similarities. I'm not concerned with the fairy tales of hocus-pocus from any side.


Water may be similar to coca-cola in that they are both liquids, but they are most certainly not the same.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
User avatar
Mr. G
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby teknix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 pm

I am failing to see your point, they are more the same than different. Compare the two liquids to a rock. Besides water is the base from which coco is made, from which every drink I can think of is made.
teknix
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Exploring Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KeithBC, Mi4 and 6 guests

>