Jesus, a Buddhist?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Jesus, a Buddhist?

Postby Tewi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 am

High Lama discussing Freemasonry is very strange indeed.

That sounds odd to me too (as do many details of the ms itself). F. Max Mu:ller went to investigate, but the abbot of Hemis denied knowing anything about any foreigner answering to Notovitch's description. (Notovitch said he was shown the Issa ms. at Hemis.) Mu:ller allowed that perhaps the abbot was lying, as natives so often do (others have suggested that he was trying to keep the ms. from being stolen), but another possibility occurred to him as well.
Tewi

Postby Uniltiranyu » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:17 am

I can see a correlation between sections of MN36: Maha-Saccaka Sutta and Genesis, and I think the overlap in meaning is significant. From my point of view as a Tibetan Buddhist meditator, they are talking about the same interior processes. The Bible definitely contains metaphorical descriptions that are useful to meditators, particularly Vajrayana practitioners. However, it will only make sense if you've received dharma transmission, and have some knowledge of tantric practices. Compare them and see for yourself.
Uniltiranyu

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Tewi wrote:Much longer than two centuries, but few travelers would go all the way across Eurasia. "Awareness of Buddhism in the Middle East" would have to be argued for using historical sources, and could not be assumed.
Alexander the Great, Gandhara, Bactria, King Menander, 150-130BCE.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:36 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Tewi wrote:Much longer than two centuries, but few travelers would go all the way across Eurasia. "Awareness of Buddhism in the Middle East" would have to be argued for using historical sources, and could not be assumed.
Alexander the Great, Gandhara, Bactria, King Menander, 150-130BCE.

Hang on, isn't the third one a camel? LOL :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Would you like one hump or two with your camel?
Arabian Camel.jpg
Arabian Camel.jpg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Bactrian Camel.png
Bactrian Camel.png (106.84 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Blue Garuda » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Would you like one hump or two with your camel?
Arabian Camel.jpg

Bactrian Camel.png

I've ridden camels in the Thar Desert and can well imagine that given such a wonderful animal, rapid travel would be possible even in the harshest environments.

My favourite was 'Peacock', who loved to race. Happy times :)
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby catmoon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 pm

when I look at camels, the idea that there was a Divine Designer suffers greatly. I really would expect a Divine Designer to have better artistic esthetics than THAT.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Didn't the "three wise men" ride in on camels? Now if we can establish that they were Bactrian camels, then we can make the wild assumption that they were a Buddhist "recognition party" and that they were tracking down Jesus as a Tulku candidate (the gifts were actually items owned by the previous incarnation that Jesus had to identify). Aha! So Jesus was a Buddhist!

Cut! It's a take! Pack up the equipment, we're finished with this scene.
untitled.png
untitled.png (40 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby AdmiralJim » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 am

Some christian sects were influenced by buddhism no doubt, especially the nazarenes. that doesnt make jesus a buddhist though
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
AdmiralJim

Postby catmoon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:14 pm

There are all kinds of uncanny coincidences and correlations between Buddhism and Jesus.

Just a few for your consideration:

Jesus was a carpenter. Tibetans very often use things made of guess what - wood!
Jesus was baptised in the River Jordan. Tibet has rivers, too. Some of them also begin with the letter J and incredibly, so does John, the name of the fellow who baptised Jesus!!!! And let's not forget Buddhism has a major prophet whose name is... J Tsongkhapa!!!
Most astoundingly of all, Jesus was born in a manger, and Buddha was born under a tree. See the connection? YES! Trees and mangers are both made of...wood!

Coincidence? Could the repeated theme of "wood" arise time and again by mere chance? I don't think so, therefore it's staggeringly improbable. So science supports this. The only reasonable conclusion is that both come from a common source, the coming messiah is on his way, and it is practically certain he will be born under the name Jay Wood.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 pm

catmoon wrote:There are all kinds of uncanny coincidences and correlations between Buddhism and Jesus.

Just a few for your consideration:

Jesus was a carpenter. Tibetans very often use things made of guess what - wood!
Jesus was baptised in the River Jordan. Tibet has rivers, too. Some of them also begin with the letter J and incredibly, so does John, the name of the fellow who baptised Jesus!!!! And let's not forget Buddhism has a major prophet whose name is... J Tsongkhapa!!!
Most astoundingly of all, Jesus was born in a manger, and Buddha was born under a tree. See the connection? YES! Trees and mangers are both made of...wood!

Coincidence? Could the repeated theme of "wood" arise time and again by mere chance? I don't think so, therefore it's staggeringly improbable. So science supports this. The only reasonable conclusion is that both come from a common source, the coming messiah is on his way, and it is practically certain he will be born under the name Jay Wood.

There is clear evidence on film that all Biblical figures are white and from the Bronx - the only exception being Spiny's mate Brian.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby asunthatneversets » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Interesting Video with some interesting alleged facts

"Did Jesus Christ learn Buddhism ??"

Direct link to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmCS7P-vdRM
asunthatneversets

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:33 pm

asunthatneversets wrote:Interesting Video with some interesting alleged facts
Nothing like alleged facts and fake documents to keep a corny and unlikely theory alive. Interesting to see what the "new" bible which was discovered recently in Turkey has to say about the life of Jesus. Over 1500 years old and written in Aramaic on leather pages, it apparently contains the Gospel of Barabas, one of the accounts of Jesus life which was removed from the Christian canon since it is differed greatly from the accounts in the other four gospels.
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Lhug-Pa

Postby Jikan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 pm

This is going nowhere but in circles. I'm locking the thread. PM me if you have some contribution to make that has not yet been made here, and I may reopen it.
Jikan
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism