IS AWARENESS A FUNCTION OF THE BRAIN?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: IS AWARENESS A FUNCTION OF THE BRAIN?

Postby Karma Yeshe Gyaltsen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:03 am

Hello

A thirsty man in the desert hopes to find water, not a chemistry text about water.
Speculating on your question will not be helpful in alleviating that which Buddhism is designed to alleviate, namely suffering, clinging to the impermanent as if it were permanent.

You already have many moments of awareness. The Buddhist practice is to increase those, through mindfulness, bringing oneself back to awareness over and over, untill one is able to use that refined awareness to examine its own nature.

When Buddha was asked speculative questions, he declined, not perhaps because he did not know the answer in realtive terms, but he declared such speculation " not conducive to awakening."

Even if you had a conclusive scientific "answer" it would not help you be happier.

best wishes to all

KYG
Karma Yeshe Gyaltsen

Postby Tilopa » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:03 am

Graycomma wrote:Hi

This is my first post in this forum. I havent searched through the forum yet.

My question is "IS AWARENESS A FUNCTION OF THE BRAIN?".

Definitely not!

Awareness is a function of the mind. Brain and mind are not the same thing. The brain is material, a physical organ of the body whereas the mind is a formless entity possessing the qualities of clarity and knowing. Two very different things.

But there is an obvious and significant relationship between them and for the mind to function properly the brain also needs to be free of impairment or dysfunction.
Tilopa

Postby catmoon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:57 am

On the other hand, if you remove someone's brain, you wouldn't expect them to be much fun at a party.

Just a nice Halloween thought. :)
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Graycomma » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:22 pm

ronnewmexico : So since all I see is self relationship not object itself any object that is perceivable such as a tree a ball or a brain is not that object itself that is being apprehended but the realtionship of that object to that which perceives object.....any per-oception is a creation of the interaction of the observor and observed and thusly in this sense a creation of the observor. So all observed in this context is a creation(apprehension) of the observor. So mind creates brain(object) in this context.

I understand it as subject-object continuum. or observer-observed duality.both appear and disappear togeather and since brain (object) appears when there is a questioner (observer) about the brain , it is the mind(observer) that creates brain.

approaching it logically I agree. But is there a observer when brain is dead.my question may be reflexive.
Probably you may refer me some good free books (english) on this topic.

Thanks
Graycomma

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism