Essence Quotations

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
madhusudan

Essence Quotations

Post by madhusudan »

I love quotations that distill the essence of dharma into a few lines. The meaning and blessings are incredibly vast. Here are four that I am familiar with:

Commit not a single unwholesome action,
Cultivate a wealth of virtue,
To tame this mind of ours,
This is the teaching of the Buddha.
-Shakyamuni Buddha

Although my view is higher than the sky,
My attention to actions and their effects is finer than flour.
-Guru Rinpoche

My religion is not deceiving myself.
-Milarepa

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
-H.H.Dalai Lama

If you are so inclined and have a few lines to add, please feel free. All dharma traditions are welcome.
Vasana

Re: Essence Quotations

Post by Vasana »

Have you been on justdharmaquotes?

thousands of quotes and excerpts

http://quotes.justdharma.com/
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

Thanks for an awesome resource I was previously unaware of. Is there any particular selection you feel encapsulates the essence of the teachings from beginning to end?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Why do I just keep waiting for fear?

What if I, in whatever state I'm in when fear & terror come to me, were to subdue that fear & terror in that very state?' So when fear & terror came to me while I was walking back & forth, I would not stand or sit or lie down. I would keep walking back & forth until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came to me while I was standing, I would not walk or sit or lie down. I would keep standing until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came to me while I was sitting, I would not lie down or stand up or walk. I would keep sitting until I had subdued that fear & terror. When fear & terror came to me while I was lying down, I would not sit up or stand or walk. I would keep lying down until I had subdued that fear & terror.
Buddha, Bhaya-bherava Sutta
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air.
Samaññaphala Sutta
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

madhusudan wrote:Thanks for an awesome resource I was previously unaware of. Is there any particular selection you feel encapsulates the essence of the teachings from beginning to end?
The quotes and excerpts from Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche & Milarepa cover the path from varying levels.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”