is the mind individual?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Simon E.

Re: is the mind individual?

Post by Simon E. »

DKR's guidelines are of course for those who have taken Vajrayana Refuge, they are at best useless for those who have not.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
maybay

Post by maybay »

smcj wrote:
There may be many traditions, but they are all Buddhadharma, and it is perfectly reasonable to expect that they not contradict.
Where did you get that idea? Go over and hang out at DhammaWheel for a bit and then come back and say that again--not!
With inferior view & motivation the precepts might very well be at odds, but that is no reason to dismiss the entire tradition.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Simon E. wrote:DKR's guidelines are of course for those who have taken Vajrayana Refuge, they are at best useless for those who have not.
Useless? Quite the contrary. They provide a very good example to be followed regardless of whether one has taken Vajrayāna refuge or not. Even those that do not heed this advice will benefit from those that do.

Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse's guidelines can be considered to be a universal "Terms of Service" for all Buddhists that have dealings with Vajrayāna. As such, all of us here at Dharma Wheel will do well to bear them in mind and refer to them whenever necessary.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

• Don’t create disharmony: Try to be the one who brings harmony into the sangha community with your online chatter, instead of trouble and disputes.
:anjali:

This is off-topic and counts as meta-discussion but it is good advice (thanks, Dharmagoat). I'm leaving it here as a reminder of Right Speech and removing subsequent metadiscussion, trivia and childishness in the hope that useful discussion can resume.
Thanks for your co-operation!

:namaste:
Kim
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

dharmagoat wrote:
Simon E. wrote:DKR's guidelines are of course for those who have taken Vajrayana Refuge, they are at best useless for those who have not.
Useless? Quite the contrary. They provide a very good example to be followed regardless of whether one has taken Vajrayāna refuge or not. Even those that do not heed this advice will benefit from those that do.

Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse's guidelines can be considered to be a universal "Terms of Service" for all Buddhists that have dealings with Vajrayāna. As such, all of us here at Dharma Wheel will do well to bear them in mind and refer to them whenever necessary.
I disagree. Those guidelines are for those with Vajrayana Refuge.

--------
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Rudra Chakrin

Post by Rudra Chakrin »

Hi, I'm picking up here because I think you people know about Dzongsar Khentse's organisation.

I'm a Sakya like him and you (?) and would like to find a forum for Sakyas within his "Siddhartha's Intent" group or the "Lion's Roar" or the "Gentle Voice" (in France if he has that.... too: but in the world anywhere else otherwise; if not in France... it doesn't matter to me where people are at....Internet links us all in the world even on some South Pacific Island, people can be live with us all via the web.).

I don't know how it's laid out and would like if you could walk me through what's available and what the options are.

I'm fluent in Tibetan, having done Tibetan culture and language at Paris University in France for five years, back in the days: the 70s. I have the goal among many others of setting up Skype in Tibetan to talk about various scholarly topics such as Tibetan script, books, travelling etc... that's just an overview to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Being Sakya, I'm trying to hone in who is Sakya and how to connect directly with them.

Maybe your answer will straightforth be that: "Dharma Wheel's the place to be".

I'm just putting out feelers to try to find someone who is in the know about his organisation.

Please help me out. Thanks.

:sage:
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

hello dear friends from beginningless time, i had a realization on the heart level of what jesse described above. there is some profound, not only interdependence and interconnection, but also unity between our minds when we communicate or have other shared experiences. there is still the relative truth. if the relative truth was false we would call it the relative false ))))). that is where duality is. we also have the first noble truth (not false). then we have the absolute truth, no duality. that is also truth. perceive them both in one cognitive event and your obscurations are done.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

tomschwarz wrote:... perceive them both in one cognitive event and your obscurations are done.
This is the skill of a Buddha.
Bodhisattvas can only perceive one "truth" at one time. A Buddha can only perceive both at once. My teacher told so when explaining the last chapter of the Lamrim by Tsonkhapa.

(For German speakers there is an interesting book about the topic of connectedness by Geshe Thubteb Ngawang: "Mit allem verbunden". Here is a review about this book: http://www.dharma-university-press.org/ ... inden.html )
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

tomschwarz wrote:hello dear friends from beginningless time, i had a realization on the heart level of what jesse described above. there is some profound, not only interdependence and interconnection, but also unity between our minds when we communicate or have other shared experiences. there is still the relative truth. if the relative truth was false we would call it the relative false ))))). that is where duality is. we also have the first noble truth (not false). then we have the absolute truth, no duality. that is also truth. perceive them both in one cognitive event and your obscurations are done.
Very nice. Congratulations. The heart is a strong point of interconnectedness.

Best wishes.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”