Transmission

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Mkoll

Transmission

Post by Mkoll »

I am new to learning about Mahayana so please forgive my ignorance.

I've noticed quite a few people talking about "transmission". It seems to be held in high regard among some. I checked Wikipedia but all I got was Dharma transmission for Zen Buddhism. I know not everyone here practices Zen so I'm curious what transmission is outside of Zen.

What is it, how does it work, why is it important, and who is authorized to give transmission?

:thanks:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
dzogchungpa

Re: Transmission

Post by dzogchungpa »

Check out these terms too: empowerment, initiation, reading transmission, direct introduction.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Berry

Post by Berry »

This might help:
Vajrayana is based on the transmission of the practice from a qualified Tantric master, one who is part of a lineage of transmission that stems from the time of Buddha. The transmission ritual, or empowerment, is a ceremony in which the teacher instructs the student in the right way to do the practice and gives permission to continue the practice regularly.

Rinpoche offers empowerments into various classes of Tantra. Meditations on deities such as Green Tara and Manjushri are held at the center on appropriate days of the lunar cycle. Some of the meditations are open to everyone while others are only open to those who have received the empowerment

http://www.emahofoundation.org/vajrayana.html
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

As far as I know, there is no real transmission.
When a spiritual leader wishes to hand off his post, he will test disciples to find one who has experienced deep awakening
And for the sake of the other, he will say that the Dharma was transmitted to the new leader.

Ever hear of selling water by the river??

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”