I would love a study partner

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

I would love a study partner

Postby Nyada » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm

:rolling: I would love a study partner(s). All I am looking for is somebody that is willing to read books with me (selecting together) and then at lest once a week via E- mail/Skype/ other chat programs. We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole. More conversations can be added for more difficult texts. Really consider it an online Buddhist Book Club.

So currently I am reading. Jewel Ornament (Purple cover) I just started chapter 4 so if you would like to join me for this book I can wait for you to get up to where I am. :reading:
Nyada

Re: I would love a study partner

Postby Crimson Tulip » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Nyada wrote::rolling: I would love a study partner(s). All I am looking for is somebody that is willing to read books with me (selecting together) and then at lest once a week via E- mail/Skype/ other chat programs. We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole. More conversations can be added for more difficult texts. Really consider it an online Buddhist Book Club.

So currently I am reading. Jewel Ornament (Purple cover) I just started chapter 4 so if you would like to join me for this book I can wait for you to get up to where I am. :reading:

This sounds interesting. I will take a look at the book. thanks........Crimson Tulip
ps I have no idea what I am doing in regard to blogging or sharing the Dharma in this way......please bear with me if I am not responding/posting correctly
Crimson Tulip

Postby Crimson Tulip » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:57 pm

I've ordered this book after reading about it. It looks very much like a place for me to be. Funny how things happen when they are supposed to. Read the intro from HH and am excited to read/ share if all works out. Expect book by mail in 3-5 days. Thanks to you for the suggestion.
Crimson Tulip

Postby Ayu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:11 am

Ah, this is a wonderful idea.

I started to read and contemplate about "The Middle Way of Nagarjuna" (Madhiamika-śastra - translated from Chinese to German). This is a big project for me, because I read very slowly. I was looking for someone to join me, but there are not many who are able to understand it or who are interested at all.
So now I can not join your group about the "Jewel Ornament", because I don't want to lose my train on thought with Nagarjuna.
But I'm so slow - maybe you can join me, when you have finished the studies on your book. :tongue:
:namaste:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Ayu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Ayu wrote: :namaste:

Strange error. I pressed the button „namaste", but it came out this one....
Ayu

Postby Lukeinaz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread but...I will be reading Liberation In the Palm of Your Hand starting today and would be interested in exploring it with a partner.
Lukeinaz

Postby Ayu » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Lukeinaz wrote:Sorry to hijack your thread but...I will be reading Liberation In the Palm of Your Hand starting today and would be interested in exploring it with a partner.

I hope you will find somebody. :smile:
There are so many texts, but i suppose evrybody has a certain idea what to study exactly right now.
Ayu

Postby Crimson Tulip » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 am

This is very slow going in reading this book. Took time to read all intro and translator's notes, etc. About 1/2 way through Chap. 1 and it is like reading another language. I am pretty familiar with most terms, but this is like trying to run through thick mud. I'm not a quitter however. Will continue to read. I am pretty hard on myself, as well, in that I want to understand every aspect of what I am reading and never satisfied to gloss over a word or phrase that doesn't completely make sense at first. Find myself re-reading phrases and thinking about the original meaning of certain words, etc. For example I will stop and analyze a particular Sutra rather than paying attention to the reason a phrase from a Sutra is used. Perhaps I am distracted by my own mind and the desire to understand so much at once. I will persevere and am happy to talk on any other media/forum about this -in general terms, if anyone else is interested. I would love to know if this reading is a struggle for anyone else. Perhaps, it is written for more intellectual types than I. I write this at 3:35 am EST, as I am awake and thinking.
Crimson Tulip

Postby Ayu » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am

For your help: try to do shamata before you start to think about what you have read.
:smile: And forget about yourself. Just dive into the teaching.
Ayu

Return to Exploring Buddhism