Esoteric Buddhism: is it real? Why?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Esoteric Buddhism: is it real? Why?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Alfredo wrote:This kind of talk reminds me of neo-Pagan rhetoric to the effect that curses rebound on the sender threefold. They say this, in part, because nobody wants to admit that it's all just make-believe.
I'm not sure which "this kind of talk" you are referring to,
but I think the Buddha would be the first to agree that it's all just make-believe
...and that fact is the reason why problems can arise.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

Nosta wrote:theanarchist: harming themselves how? What can be found on such teachings that could harm?
As far as I know the "inner practices" of tantra comprise of a variety of imagination exercises to get the energy body under control and influence it. If you don't do that properly and with the right motivation you can disturb the energy system in a way that for example you can develop mental illness.

But that is not so surprising. Even completely "normal", non esoteric shamatha/vipasshana meditation if not applied correctly can cause harm to one's mind.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

theanarchist wrote:
Nosta wrote:theanarchist: harming themselves how? What can be found on such teachings that could harm?
As far as I know the "inner practices" of tantra comprise of a variety of imagination exercises to get the energy body under control and influence it. If you don't do that properly and with the right motivation you can disturb the energy system in a way that for example you can develop mental illness.

But that is not so surprising. Even completely "normal", non esoteric shamatha/vipasshana meditation if not applied correctly can cause harm to one's mind.
Inner Tantra, and specifically Anuttarayogatantra practices, include physical exercises, breathing exercises, and mental exercises which must be understood in proper context. It takes time and practice to understand (and embody) that context. If one tries to conduct some of these practices without proper preparation, and proper guidance, there is the chance of physical and/or mental problems arising.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”