Esoteric Buddhism: is it real? Why?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Esoteric Buddhism: is it real? Why?

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Alfredo wrote:This kind of talk reminds me of neo-Pagan rhetoric to the effect that curses rebound on the sender threefold. They say this, in part, because nobody wants to admit that it's all just make-believe.

I'm not sure which "this kind of talk" you are referring to,
but I think the Buddha would be the first to agree that it's all just make-believe
...and that fact is the reason why problems can arise.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby theanarchist » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Nosta wrote:theanarchist: harming themselves how? What can be found on such teachings that could harm?

As far as I know the "inner practices" of tantra comprise of a variety of imagination exercises to get the energy body under control and influence it. If you don't do that properly and with the right motivation you can disturb the energy system in a way that for example you can develop mental illness.

But that is not so surprising. Even completely "normal", non esoteric shamatha/vipasshana meditation if not applied correctly can cause harm to one's mind.
theanarchist

Postby conebeckham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:54 pm

theanarchist wrote:
Nosta wrote:theanarchist: harming themselves how? What can be found on such teachings that could harm?

As far as I know the "inner practices" of tantra comprise of a variety of imagination exercises to get the energy body under control and influence it. If you don't do that properly and with the right motivation you can disturb the energy system in a way that for example you can develop mental illness.

But that is not so surprising. Even completely "normal", non esoteric shamatha/vipasshana meditation if not applied correctly can cause harm to one's mind.

Inner Tantra, and specifically Anuttarayogatantra practices, include physical exercises, breathing exercises, and mental exercises which must be understood in proper context. It takes time and practice to understand (and embody) that context. If one tries to conduct some of these practices without proper preparation, and proper guidance, there is the chance of physical and/or mental problems arising.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism