Bay Area Buddhist Question on how to release live animals

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Bay Area Buddhist Question on how to release live animals

Postby catlady2112 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 am

I live in the San Francisco Bay area and I want to do that practice where you buy live animals and release them. Unfortunately it is dangerous to buy certain animals and release them in the wrong environment (like putting non-saltwater fish in the salty bay) because you will cause their death. What are some safe animals/critters to buy in the bay area? And where can you release them in an environment where they have a chance to survive?
catlady2112

Re: Bay Area Buddhist Question on how to release live animal

Postby asunthatneversets » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 am

catlady2112 wrote:I live in the San Francisco Bay area and I want to do that practice where you buy live animals and release them. Unfortunately it is dangerous to buy certain animals and release them in the wrong environment (like putting non-saltwater fish in the salty bay) because you will cause their death. What are some safe animals/critters to buy in the bay area? And where can you release them in an environment where they have a chance to survive?

I'm from the bay area as well. Perhaps you can look into the local fisheries; crab, lobster, oyster and so on (depending on the season). I'm sure you would be able to purchase them from the fishery and find a safe place to release them, preferably somewhere far from where they are usually caught but still in a suitable habitat.

Either that, or maybe research the local fish which are caught in the area.

Be sure to give them the A' A HA SHA SA MA and dedicate the merit!
asunthatneversets

Re: Bay Area Buddhist Question on how to release live animal

Postby DiamondSutra » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:45 am

I suggest buying worms at a bait shop. Or fishing/sporting type place.
They are easy to deal with.
You can say mantras to them, read them the sutra, walk them around a stupa and them release them.
Releasing them in the yard or garden of the temple is very good too! Then they will always be by the temple and help the plants.

This practice is very good, very powerful and has many benefits.

http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=809

http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=759
DiamondSutra

Return to Exploring Buddhism