Difference between consciousness and the mind

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Re: Difference between consciousness and the mind

Postby garudha » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Gwenn Dana wrote:You cannot define a term by using itself or referencing to everything. Such definition is nonsense.

What? Well find me something that isn't true. You can't because "nothing" does not exist.
~ "The requested topic does not exist" ~
garudha

Postby odysseus » Sat May 03, 2014 9:31 am

garudha wrote:You can't because "nothing" does not exist.

Buddhism describes 31 planes of existence, but there are actually 32. The utmost worst is "non-existence", but this is usually censored because it´s terrifying to think about. :soapbox:
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby garudha » Sat May 03, 2014 6:18 pm

odysseus wrote:
garudha wrote:You can't because "nothing" does not exist.

Buddhism describes 31 planes of existence, but there are actually 32. The utmost worst is "non-existence", but this is usually censored because it´s terrifying to think about. :soapbox:

Buddhism says that non-existence actually exists ? That's quite a claim. Are you sure you don't mean that YOU can't exist (separately) in a state of Nibbana ?
garudha

Postby odysseus » Sat May 03, 2014 7:20 pm

garudha wrote:
odysseus wrote:

Buddhism says that non-existence actually exists ? That's quite a claim. Are you sure you don't mean that YOU can't exist (separately) in a state of Nibbana ?

Non-existence is lower than death itself, meaning in quick terms that one is completely forgotten by "all loved ones" and so on, like no traces of a life left (very rare I think). A vacuum in empty space is non-existence too.

When Nirvana is reached, you´re like you said not separate anymore but you still are conscious of "living, and yourself". :namaste:
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby garudha » Sun May 04, 2014 10:41 pm

odysseus wrote:
garudha wrote:
odysseus wrote:

Non-existence is lower than death itself, meaning in quick terms that one is completely forgotten by "all loved ones" and so on, like no traces of a life left (very rare I think). A vacuum in empty space is non-existence too.

When Nirvana is reached, you´re like you said not separate anymore but you still are conscious of "living, and yourself". :namaste:

Thanks for explaining it but I don't really understand. Maybe I'm tired.

"Non-existence is lower than death itself" I don't know what either of those two things are, so, the combination is even harder to understand :-). What is death?
"A vacuum in empty space is non-existence too.". Yeah but if there is space then there is something, isn't there? --or do you refer to some complicated physics?
"When Nirvana is reached, you´re like you said not separate anymore but you still are conscious of "living, and yourself""... Maybe only Nirvana exists but the "you" is gone? --so you don't exist (like you said) but only the real things exists?
garudha

Postby Wayfarer » Mon May 05, 2014 12:27 am

Garudha wrote:Thanks for explaining it but I don't really understand. Maybe I'm tired.

Or maybe you really don't understand it. And that's OK - not understanding it is fine. The problems only start when you *think* you understand it, but you really don't.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby odysseus » Mon May 05, 2014 5:50 am

garudha wrote:"Non-existence is lower than death itself" I don't know what either of those two things are, so, the combination is even harder to understand :-). What is death?

I should have said "lower than hell", sorry. I imagine hell is somewhat rare too, though death is a kind of hell on Earth like it´s said.

garudha wrote:"A vacuum in empty space is non-existence too.". Yeah but if there is space then there is something, isn't there? --or do you refer to some complicated physics?

Buddhists should be hobby scientists also, not complicated. There are invisible particles and waves in space (outside our atmosphere), but there exist areas in space without particles or waves = vacuum. Then we can say that nothing exists there (not even space).

garudha wrote:"When Nirvana is reached, you´re like you said not separate anymore but you still are conscious of "living, and yourself""... Maybe only Nirvana exists but the "you" is gone? --so you don't exist (like you said) but only the real things exists?

Yes, the notion of SELF has gone. Depends how you want to define "you don´t exist", it can be confusing to people to think annihilation/disappearance. "Only the real things exist": Well it cannot get more "real deal" than with Nirvana, sir!
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby muni » Mon May 05, 2014 8:13 am

Depends how you want to define "you don´t exist", it can be confusing to people to think annihilation/
disappearance

That can be a reason for resistence to keep identity and its characteristics going on. Letting go is then going in the nowhere instead of very peace. I guess letting go needs surrendering identity and its goods and bads completely, by trust. Not trusting the apprehended artificial ideation.

like you said not separate anymore but you still are conscious

As long as consciousness/mind is locked into a thinking of being a self, an identity ( broken/separate awareness), it is triggered by its inner and outer images/movements/other. It seems, that is meant with being enslaved of the mind, which is suffering. I guess conscious can without suffering.
muni

Previous

Return to Exploring Buddhism