Rat catcher

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Rat catcher

Postby philji » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:07 am

I have seen a rat in my garden, poking his little nose around... This is surprising as we have a. Dog and there are also cats roaming thru the garden from time to time..... Anyway, my question is... How to get rid of him????? I don't want to end his life but what to do?
philji

Re: Rat catcher

Postby Aemilius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 am

Sravasti Dhammika had a similar problem, and he discussed it in his blog, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.fi/2012_05_01_archive.html
svaha
Aemilius

Postby Atanavat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:15 am

philji wrote:I have seen a rat in my garden, poking his little nose around... This is surprising as we have a. Dog and there are also cats roaming thru the garden from time to time..... Anyway, my question is... How to get rid of him????? I don't want to end his life but what to do?

Use a non-lethal trap and set it free far, far away - easy peacy
The Dharma of The Buddha is illuminating beyond compare, cold, diamond-hard and so very austere. It will be touched by nothing, but the strictest of reasoning and the deepest of contemplation.
Atanavat

Postby seeker242 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:49 pm

http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/rat

One of these with a little bit of peanut butter inside, works like a charm. No rat can resist the smell of peanut butter. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Postby theanarchist » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 pm

See that he doesn't find ANY food and that there is no spot that is suitable to dig a burrow.
theanarchist

Postby pensum » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm

seeker242 wrote:http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/rat

One of these with a little bit of peanut butter inside, works like a charm. No rat can resist the smell of peanut butter. :smile:

These are very effective. I was away for an extended period and a rat family moved into my house while i was away. I caught 7 of them using a Havahart live trap. I would then take them for a long drive out into the country and set them free. Keep in mind that you must go several miles or they'll find their way back.

Note that bird feeders attract rats as they find a convenient food source in the seeds which fall on the ground.
pensum

Postby Lindama » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:09 pm

I had rats under my house recently. First thing is to get rid of them before you take away any possible food or take any other steps to control them. If you remove it, they are likely to chew their way into the house looking for food. If you cut access to their nest, esp under the house, they will find a way to get back to their home and will chew thru anything except metal. I never had rats until my neighbor rat proofed under house last summer.... so they came to my house.

Have-a-heart traps won't kill them, but they are getting smarter. Peanut butter or something shiny like Vitamin E geletin capsules might work... place the trap along a wall if possible, they are likely to walk near walls under the house. Another interesting thing that I have not tried... get a large metal garbage can. put a 2x4 plank leading to the top of the can and place dry dog food in the bottom... they can get in but they can't get out. Drive them far, far away.

Second thing, be sure to secure your house around the foundation so they can't get in. They will be back, so protect yourself. Make sure they can't tunnel under a barrier, plug up all holes where pipes are with copper wool (not steel which will rust).

I live in the woods, critters are inevitable. I still feed my birds, but the house is protected. I don't think I am rat proof because I stop feeding the birds. My friend feeds her racoons so they won't eat her geese. It's all a matter of choice.

good luck
linda
Lindama

Postby Atanavat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:21 pm

pensum wrote:
seeker242 wrote:http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/rat

These are very effective. I was away for an extended period and a rat family moved into my house while i was away. I caught 7 of them using a Havahart live trap. I would then take them for a long drive out into the country and set them free. Keep in mind that you must go several miles or they'll find their way back.

Note that bird feeders attract rats as they find a convenient food source in the seeds which fall on the ground.

:good: :good: :good: :hug:
The Dharma of The Buddha is illuminating beyond compare, cold, diamond-hard and so very austere. It will be touched by nothing, but the strictest of reasoning and the deepest of contemplation.
Atanavat

Postby philji » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the ideas guys.." Have cleaned up the back yard and removed sources of food.... Yes we do feed the birds and also dog poop is here from time to time so will work on these two areas next.
philji

Postby Jainarayan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:14 pm

It's simple... a Hav-A-Hart trap. I trapped 4 raccoons that invaded my attic that way, a mother and two kits, and another adult. Then re-location at least a few miles away. There are Hav-A-Hart traps for different size animals. However, it can take several days to a week or two to finally catch the animal. Raccoons, rats, and squirrels are smart, and if they've been trapped before they are wary. Right now I have a contractor trapping, removing, and relocating squirrels using these traps (too much for me to handle, including the repairs). I explicitly told the contractor I don't want them killed. He said not to worry, they don't do that. Besides, in NJ it is illegal to euthanize caught animals unless they are clearly ill, especially with rabies.
Worthy, wise and virtuous: Who is energetic and not indolent, in misfortune unshaken,
flawless in manner and intelligent, such one will honor gain. - Digha Nikaya III 273
Jainarayan

Postby Jainarayan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:17 pm

philji wrote:Thanks for all the ideas guys.." Have cleaned up the back yard and removed sources of food.... Yes we do feed the birds and also dog poop is here from time to time so will work on these two areas next.

Do this also... where you know the rat feeds or has been feeding, or may feed, sprinkle cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. Also lace your bird seed with it. Only mammals can detect the capsaicin, birds cannot. The hot pepper should also discourage squirrels from raiding the bird feeder. Capsaicin does not harm them, it only tricks the brain into thinking it's being burned.
Worthy, wise and virtuous: Who is energetic and not indolent, in misfortune unshaken,
flawless in manner and intelligent, such one will honor gain. - Digha Nikaya III 273
Jainarayan

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:11 pm

Aemilius wrote:Sravasti Dhammika had a similar problem, and he discussed it in his blog, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.fi/2012_05_01_archive.html

Enjoyed reading that article, thanks. Not a really Buddhist thing to do but I get them poisoned and killed right away, I should be looking at alternatives as I plan on observing the precepts again.
Nighthawk

Postby Simon E. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Back in the early days of Samye-Ling it had a large and thriving and squeaking rat colony..
It was like the Pied Piper, they would race you down the corridors, they appeared within seconds of food offerings and scrambled all over them while helping themselves. They sat on the beds...

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was not too bothered by them.... but, he received a notification from the local authorities telling him that he should expect an inspection to see if Health and Safety regulations were being observed...gulp.
They could close the place to visitors.

Rinpoche set to work driving them away by the use of mantras..in addition to chanting he went around poking sheets of note paper that he had inscribed mantras on down the rat holes.
The rats ate them with relish.

Inspection day loomed.
With real reluctance and much sighing Rinpoche asked his secretary to dial the number for Rentokil.
Simon E.

Return to Exploring Buddhism