short term monastic ordination in india ?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

short term monastic ordination in india ?

Postby anandha » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi,
I read "In Burma, Taiwan and Hong Kong, sometimes there are short term monastic ordination available to lay buddhists to take some vows may be for a week or a month" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_monasticism. I live in south India, and i would like to take monastic vows for a year and dedicate most of the time for meditation and selfless services. is there such a choice is available in India ? I'm open to all Dharmic religions. Please suggest me if any such available.
anandha

Re: short term monastic ordination in india ?

Postby plwk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:31 pm

I have so far only known of this one: http://www.mahabodhi-ladakh.org/index.aspx
They have meditation retreats but you can write in to them on their contact page and enquire further if they can accommodate on your aspirations.
Check them out, they have many fabulous things going on. I was fortunate to have met their Venerable Founder when he was here for a Dharma talk and promotion and the local Buddhists here are some of his major sponsors and benefactors.
plwk

Postby anandha » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Thank you plwk, I will try that.... :namaste:

plwk wrote:I have so far only known of this one: http://www.mahabodhi-ladakh.org/index.aspx
They have meditation retreats but you can write in to them on their contact page and enquire further if they can accommodate on your aspirations.
Check them out, they have many fabulous things going on. I was fortunate to have met their Venerable Founder when he was here for a Dharma talk and promotion and the local Buddhists here are some of his major sponsors and benefactors.
anandha

Postby Kunga » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Friendly advice: if you want to devote a year of your life to practicing meditation, don't go to a monastery, particularly a Tibetan one.

It would be better to receive the teachings, then rent somewhere isolated and do your own practice as far away from monks and monasteries as possible.

btw I am a monk, and have a lot of experience of monasteries throughout India and Nepal. When I do retreat, I rent somewhere.
Kunga

Postby Virgo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Kunga wrote:Friendly advice: if you want to devote a year of your life to practicing meditation, don't go to a monastery, particularly a Tibetan one.

It would be better to receive the teachings, then rent somewhere isolated and do your own practice as far away from monks and monasteries as possible.

btw I am a monk, and have a lot of experience of monasteries throughout India and Nepal. When I do retreat, I rent somewhere.

This is because a monks life is generally a busy life.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Kunga » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Virgo wrote:
Kunga wrote:Friendly advice: if you want to devote a year of your life to practicing meditation, don't go to a monastery, particularly a Tibetan one.

This is because a monks life is generally a busy life.

Kevin

Exactly, and monasteries are very noisy places. (Even monastic retreat centres!)

K
Kunga

Postby kirtu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Kunga wrote:It would be better to receive the teachings, then rent somewhere isolated and do your own practice as far away from monks and monasteries as possible.

But then how can you do the fire offering at the conclusion (if you want to do the kind of retreat that requires a fire offering)?

Also the OP also included self-less service. Certainly monastics are still major fields of merit making both for themselves and others.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Kunga » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 pm

kirtu wrote:
Kunga wrote:It would be better to receive the teachings, then rent somewhere isolated and do your own practice as far away from monks and monasteries as possible.

But then how can you do the fire offering at the conclusion (if you want to do the kind of retreat that requires a fire offering)?

Also the OP also included self-less service. Certainly monastics are still major fields of merit making both for themselves and others.

Kirt

You can arrange for monks to come and do it for you, or you can do it yourself if you have received the teachings. Also, you can hire local help very reasonably to come once a week with a variety of goods, and even cook for you, though it is better to cook for yourself.

My experience of retreat houses has been one of constant disappointment. The last time I did a retreat in one, I was continually disturbed by the other retreatant monks, who would meet and talk on the veranda during their breaks, play the radio loudly in their rooms, slam doors at all times during the day and night, etc. I'm no puritanical inji by any stretch of the imagination, but this has been a consistent theme wherever I have gone (across lineages, too). I guess. .the kind of consideration for others' space doesn't exist in the Indo-Tibetan scene.

I went to one drupkhang in Nepal more recently where monks were undergoing their 3 year closed retreat; in the breaks it was like bedlam out in the garden.

I would love to hear of a monastery or monastic retreat centre in which one could practice and do retreat without this level of noise and disruption.

For the above reasons, I just avoid anything to do with these places when I want to do personal retreat. I should imagine this is why so much is made of cave retreat in the biographies of many teachers - they knew they had to get away in order to get some peace and quiet. ;)

K
Kunga

Postby Indrajala » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 am

I agree with Kunga.

Don't go to a retreat center or monastery anywhere in India or Nepal. They tend to be noisy and the residents inconsiderate.

Also keep in mind most urban or semi-urban areas of the subcontinent are perpetually infested with packs of dogs. Once they start barking it can go on till the early hours of the morning. Dogs in monasteries are usually quite territorial as they got a good thing going, so expect A LOT of barking at night as they deter intruders.

There are a lot of noisy dogs even at a place like Namo Buddha outside Kathmandu. The same goes for Leh, Ladakh.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby plwk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:06 am

Well the OP claims to be in South India, maybe the next option is just the nearest neighbour, Sri Lanka?
Then the sister site http://www.dhammawheel.com/ is the best place to ask about the realities and availabilities of its urban and forest monasteries.
plwk

Postby plwk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:10 am

My experience of retreat houses has been one of constant disappointment. The last time I did a retreat in one, I was continually disturbed by the other retreatant monks, who would meet and talk on the veranda during their breaks, play the radio loudly in their rooms, slam doors at all times during the day and night, etc. I'm no puritanical inji by any stretch of the imagination, but this has been a consistent theme wherever I have gone (across lineages, too). I guess. .the kind of consideration for others' space doesn't exist in the Indo-Tibetan scene.

I went to one drupkhang in Nepal more recently where monks were undergoing their 3 year closed retreat; in the breaks it was like bedlam out in the garden.
Well Venerable, that's why the Chinese Buddhist tradition have additional minute rules on top of the Vinaya to regulate all these personal behaviour but of course this is regarded by some as 'fascist' control for the price of some peace of mind :mrgreen:
plwk

Postby plwk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 am

Also keep in mind most urban or semi-urban areas of the subcontinent are perpetually infested with packs of dogs. Once they start barking it can go on till the early hours of the morning. Dogs in monasteries are usually quite territorial as they got a good thing going, so expect A LOT of barking at night as they deter intruders.

There are a lot of noisy dogs even at a place like Namo Buddha outside Kathmandu. The same goes for Leh, Ladakh.
Venerable, isn't this a common feature of most Asian monasteries, especially on the Indian continent and even in S.E Asia like Thailand, Myanmar and Indochina, even where I am, where animals are oft left to become strays and abandoned and breed uncontrollably. Heck, I recall hearing that even Ajahn Brahm mentioned once about this problem in a Youtube teaching that Bodhinyana in Australia faces this as well... cats, dogs, birds... and people treating the monastery as a dumping ground...
plwk

Postby Indrajala » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:18 am

No, it is just common tendencies of locals.

Elsewhere in the world people generally have the sense not to disturb others and to keep one's voice down.

But then I guess in some communities you need to use a figurative whip to get people to keep quiet.
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:26 am

plwk wrote:Venerable, isn't this a common feature of most Asian monasteries, especially on the Indian continent and even in S.E Asia like Thailand, Myanmar and Indochina, even where I am, where animals are oft left to become strays and abandoned and breed uncontrollably. Heck, I recall hearing that even Ajahn Brahm mentioned once about this problem in a Youtube teaching that Bodhinyana in Australia faces this as well... cats, dogs, birds... and people treating the monastery as a dumping ground...

A lot of Asian countries haven't got around to having proper animal control units in cities, let alone the countryside (they probably don't care actually).

In Japan they have strict animal control laws. Just to own a pet requires a lot of paperwork. There are no stray dogs in Tokyo, at least not for long. They wouldn't have time to breed and produce more dogs. This is why Tokyo is actually quieter than Leh, Ladakh. At night it is dead silent in residential areas apart from in the summer months when the insects are all singing.

I love dogs, but there really needs to be animal control, both for their sake and the well-being of people. Sanitation is an issue. Here in Delhi there are stray dogs everywhere making a mess and a racket. They also pose a danger to children. Rabies is a concern, too.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala

Postby Malcolm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm

The best place to do retreat is in Western Europe or North America.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby philji » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Is the OP actually interested as he keeps posting similar questions and then you never hear from him again????? :shrug:
philji

Postby anandha » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Thank you everyone for great suggestions.... Finally came to conclusion that "being monk for sometime is not good idea to spend more time on meditation"... Speaking to some ashrams to stay for a while...
@philji yeah i'm posting similar questions because i didn't find any solution that suits for me :shrug: but i'm sure on that i would like to spend most of the time on meditation... i hope i will find one soon.....
anandha

Postby Indrajala » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Malcolm wrote:The best place to do retreat is in Western Europe or North America.

I very much agree.

A campsite in some national park within walking distance of a supply store will be a lot quieter, safer and easier than the usual places around India or Nepal.

You can easily rent a cabin with a hot shower and 24/7 electricity.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala

Postby philji » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Good luck Anandha with the retreat plans......I am sure some ashrams may have facilities suitable.
philji

Postby Kunga » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Malcolm is right best to spend time in retreat in the West: the only benefit Asia has going in its favour is the lower cost of rental and living; there are quiet places in Nepal and India, but you have to go look for them, and people often don't share their discoveries, lol!
Kunga

Return to Exploring Buddhism