Sutra on rebirth

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Sutra on rebirth

Postby eddie martin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi

I have been exploring Buddhism for a short time now mainly looking at the 4 noble truths and reading some Buddhist authors.Rebirth and karma is also coming to my attention.Could someone please point me to the sutra where the Buddha talks about rebirth.I really don't know where to begin.

Thank you
eddie martin

Re: Sutra on rebirth

Postby Seishin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 pm

A good place to look is on our sister sight dhammawheel. This should get you started http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9609
:smile:

Gassho,
Seishin
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby eddie martin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi Seishin.Ialso posted the question there,thank you.

:smile:
eddie martin

Postby dude » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:46 am

1. Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living at Savatthi in Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's Park.

Then Subha the student (brahman), Todeyya's son, went to the Blessed One and exchanged greetings with him, and when the courteous and amiable talk was finished, he sat down at one side. When he had done so, Subha the student said to the Blessed One:

2. "Master Gotama, what is the reason, what is the condition, why inferiority and superiority are met with among human beings, among mankind? For one meets with short-lived and long-lived people, sick and healthy people, ugly and beautiful people, insignificant and influential people, poor and rich people, low-born and high-born people, stupid and wise people. What is the reason, what is the condition, why superiority and inferiority are met with among human beings, among mankind?"

3. "Student, beings are owners of kammas, heirs of kammas, they have kammas as their progenitor, kammas as their kin, kammas as their homing-place. It is kammas that differentiate beings according to inferiority and superiority."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#shorter
dude

Return to Exploring Buddhism